Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 85
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113

    Looking for my first job.

    Hello, my name is Chris and today I have begun my job search. I graduated from school in December 2008, and I got my EPA (Universal) and ICE (Commercial) certifications. I already posted my resume on two well known job finder websites. So now I wanted to come here and ask some questions about finding a job.

    The problem is I never had a job in the HVAC field so I have no experience and I only have my Associates degree to fall back on. Since I never searched for a job before I am not finding jobs in my field so easily. Either the job wants experience which I don't have or the job isn't really HVAC related, for example they expect their employees to do odd jobs like painting, plumbing, drywalling, etc.

    I would like to be in the Commercial aspect of HVAC Industry, working in a building. It has to be something entry level where they would train me until I gain experience. I live in Pennsylvania (I am less than 10 miles from New Jersey and about 20 miles from New York) but I would prefer to work in Northern New Jersey for the better pay/opportunity. My school is helping me find a job also but they are in New York, so I might be waiting awhile until they find me a job. However the invited me to a job fair in New York this February.

    So if anyone can help me and share some information with me I would be grateful. I need to know where I can find a job that will accept me with my experience and train me further. Tell me everything I need to know in finding a job in this field. Thanks your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    philadelphia pa
    Posts
    26
    there are jobs out there however with this economy there are also a lot of tech's/mechanics laid off and they also want to find work tommorow.As you probably witnessed
    May want to check craigslist.org. a few weeks ago there were a few company's with openings on there for the northeast pa area and north jersey area. Forget if they were commercial or residential. May or may not be the best place to be looking for help adds, but its a start.
    You will see a lot of adds that state 5 years+ experience required, but don't let that stop you because that doesn't mean they don't have other positions open. Also give them a call or stop in and tell them your eager to work, would like a chance, and blah blah blah
    Tho time consuming if you narrow down to the type of hvac work you want to do you can always look for company's that do that type of work, then stop by there shop and ask for a supervisor and hand him your resume which is always more impressive then just faxing your resume to a company.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverseRotation View Post
    there are jobs out there however with this economy there are also a lot of tech's/mechanics laid off and they also want to find work tommorow.As you probably witnessed
    May want to check craigslist.org. a few weeks ago there were a few company's with openings on there for the northeast pa area and north jersey area. Forget if they were commercial or residential. May or may not be the best place to be looking for help adds, but its a start.
    You will see a lot of adds that state 5 years+ experience required, but don't let that stop you because that doesn't mean they don't have other positions open. Also give them a call or stop in and tell them your eager to work, would like a chance, and blah blah blah
    Tho time consuming if you narrow down to the type of hvac work you want to do you can always look for company's that do that type of work, then stop by there shop and ask for a supervisor and hand him your resume which is always more impressive then just faxing your resume to a company.
    Thanks, do you have any companies you recommend I research?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    as the above poster stated stopping in and talking face to face with anyone is the way to go. I understand with the new technology that the way younger people are more comfortable doing everything "on-line" if you will. remember the jobs you are going for are very much face to face communications. most owners would hire those that stop by compared to those with just on line apps

    sorry for the run had a few after work/Friday drinks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    as the above poster stated stopping in and talking face to face with anyone is the way to go. I understand with the new technology that the way younger people are more comfortable doing everything "on-line" if you will. remember the jobs you are going for are very much face to face communications. most owners would hire those that stop by compared to those with just on line apps

    sorry for the run had a few after work/Friday drinks
    I understand, but how would I know if they are looking for tech's or not? It's a long way to drive just to walk in and not know if they will interview me or now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    49
    stay in school or join 638 if interested in commericial jobs I wish i didnt spend all those years fixing residential units never want to see another attic in my life not even my own

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by steam638 View Post
    stay in school or join 638 if interested in commericial jobs I wish i didnt spend all those years fixing residential units never want to see another attic in my life not even my own
    Heh I already spent 2 years in school, I want to work now. What is 638? Yea I never want to do anything related to residential, I want to be able to stand up where I work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,599
    First of all, you are not a Tech...you will start off being an apprentice and doing preventive maintenance, organising the shop, and running parts and equipment.
    Open up the phone book and make some calls...see if any local companies are looking for an apprentice.

    Good luck!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    First of all, you are not a Tech...you will start off being an apprentice and doing preventive maintenance, organising the shop, and running parts and equipment.
    Open up the phone book and make some calls...see if any local companies are looking for an apprentice.

    Good luck!
    Wow thank you for sharing this information with me, I am so relieved to hear I begin as an apprentice. I thought because I went to college they would expect everything from me right off the bat. What companies should I research btw?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St.louis metro area
    Posts
    315

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC-PA- View Post
    Wow thank you for sharing this information with me, I am so relieved to hear I begin as an apprentice. I thought because I went to college they would expect everything from me right off the bat. What companies should I research btw?
    You should research every company withing a 50 mile radius of your location. I wouldn't be too picky as to whether it is commercial or residential. Take what you can get and be happy. Apply at all of them and consider yourself lucky if you get one call.

    Schooling is way overrated. Getting a job in this field is not as easy as those trade schools make it out to be. A person without any schooling that has mechanical aptitude and the right connections will get a job in this field before someone with schooling alone.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    You should research every company withing a 50 mile radius of your location. I wouldn't be too picky as to whether it is commercial or residential. Take what you can get and be happy. Apply at all of them and consider yourself lucky if you get one call.

    Schooling is way overrated. Getting a job in this field is not as easy as those trade schools make it out to be. A person without any schooling that has mechanical aptitude and the right connections will get a job in this field before someone with schooling alone.
    Thats what I figured, I wanted to go to work right after high school but everyone told me you can't find a good paying job without school anymore. However, if I went into the field without any schooling I wouldn't be able to do the job since before school I had no idea how Refrigeration worked.

    Residential I refuse to do for several reasons. I don't want to drive around all day to do my job, I want to make more than $20k a year, and I can't work hunched over in a crawl space. My homes HVAC system is in a crawl space and it's hard enough for me just to change the filter. Sadly I don't have any connections.

    I guess I am in for a long job search.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    If you are looking for a HVAC tech job you will drive around all day, unless you get a job at a permanent location...factory, large office building, etc. as maintenance. When i started out all i knew was that you turned on the thermostat and heat came, it was my mechanical ability that got me the job. I do commercial / industrial and in a average day i drive to about 2-6 locations or sometimes a week at a single location (tecogen chillers can be finicky) Also i have to stuff myself into tight places regularly..even inside units. Guess i am saying, you are extremely new and i would not place the restrictions you have on finding a job or you will be sorely disappointed

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    If you are looking for a HVAC tech job you will drive around all day, unless you get a job at a permanent location...factory, large office building, etc. as maintenance. When i started out all i knew was that you turned on the thermostat and heat came, it was my mechanical ability that got me the job. I do commercial / industrial and in a average day i drive to about 2-6 locations or sometimes a week at a single location (tecogen chillers can be finicky) Also i have to stuff myself into tight places regularly..even inside units. Guess i am saying, you are extremely new and i would not place the restrictions you have on finding a job or you will be sorely disappointed
    I want to find a job at a permanent location but I can't do crawl spaces so I can't do residential. When I am hunched over in such a small space all the blood rushes to my head and I get disorientated, I would be useless unless the person has their system in a basement. Around here 90% of the people do not have basements. I am not too concerned with my mechanical skills, I only used basic tools before I went to college but if someone shows me how to use more advanced tools I will learn. Even one of my teachers had no mechanical skills before he got into this field but he learned.

    I am prepared for a long wait though, I expected as much when the economy went down.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event