Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    With the relay contacts open: I pull the wires off the coil and I measure 126vac across them. When I put the wires back on the coil and measure across the coil I get 0vac. When the relay closes I read 123vac across the coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Where is the machine made? European's sometimes switch the neutral instead of the "hot" side. Might be throwing your troubleshooting off if this is the case. When you energized the coil from the plug, did you go through the relay on the machine or direct to the solenoid?

Post Likes
    Is this relay part of a latching circuit?

PHM
    --------
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    With the relay contacts open: I pull the wires off the coil and I measure 126vac across them. When I put the wires back on the coil and measure across the coil I get 0vac. When the relay closes I read 123vac across the coil.

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Center tap transformer?

Post Likes
    I was finally in a good place about this thing and you guys had to bring it back up didn't you!

Is the relay part of a latching circuit? No

Is it a center tap transformer?
    No. I only ever see those on Hoshi's.

This is a Hobart AM15VLT, the one with the steam condenser. Everyone I've talked to about this goofiness has told me it's ghost voltage. I did some digging around and ghost voltage does fit the bill. What's really funny is about this is I've seen this wizardry before, on a Hobart mixer, that uses the same transformer. It dawned on me after I worked on this dishwasher and I looked it up in our records. Sure as ever, same transformer.

Post Likes
    Yep,definitely ghost voltage.

Post Likes
    A solid state relay is feeding the coil?

Post Likes
    The term "ghost voltage " is new to me.
    FEEDBACK is what you seem to be experiencing. The feedback voltage can pass through an inactive load device (like another solenoid coil) in the 115 volt control circuit. The measured voltage passing through the inactive load is so restricted by resistance or impedance that the measured voltage at the coil you are testing drops to zero...just as you describe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12