If you are over age 50, please get a colonoscopy ASAP - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I had one done at 50. Very glad I did it knowing they only found one polyp and it was checked to find it was non cancerous. I didn't hesitate doing it because I knew other fellows my age were not so lucky and had to have parts of their colon removed. I remembered horror stories told before hand of the prep which I found wasn't that bad. Nobody should ever put off having this done when it's available.

I guess I have a little more than a year and I will most certainly under go the test.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I'm 54 and had my first one 6 months ago. Prep suck: shi$%ing for 6-8 hours but procedure is like watching funky tv.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

I have to agree the prep is no picnic and neither is the fasting. I was told I would be sedated and it was painless and under a sort of foginess during the procedure. I was faced toward the computer screen and I think I remember part of the journey of he scope. After my recovery and farting exit from the hospital my wife was kind enough to take me the nearest IHOP for a breakfast feast since it was an early morning appointment. That was 2 years ago and recently was the wife's turn so I got to enjoy another breakfast. Oh, the joys of growing older.
    Last edited by Trublshter; 01-23-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

The test is nothing, the drug they give you is out of this world.
    The day before prep is brutal though.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Dice said it, there are quite a few threads in here on this, but it always bears (no pun intended !) repeating ..

I had my first at 41 (family history) and they took 3 out at that time. Turns out 1 was pre-cancerous. Doc says I would have been gone by 50 ...

Had my second at 44 .. Clean .. now am on the 5-year plan ....

Well I've had it twice and within the next month will go for 3rd. i agree with others ......this getting old stinks (67)

Gary ...thanx for starting this thread

Smile

happy to hear that it all worked and you are gettin better--good luck

Talking Good thread gary, glad your sh!ts ok

Early detection is the Key, for any type of cancer, if you have had it in your family history...get checked regularly. Have heart problems in your family stay on top of it..................

It all boils down to early detection,... lung cancer 2 years ago lost half a lung, so far so good...the chemo doc said I was one of the luckiest Cancer peeps he's ever seen, heh yah thanks doc ......I get checked regularly.......

heh time to get the pooper checked again. I ain't down with pissen out my ass .............the farten part is good though.........

What's the prostate check like............. I ain't down with anybody touching my pee pee.......well cept if she's cute

Gm had his first about 3 weeks ago. He is now at home recovering from having 12" of his colon removed due to stage 3 colon cancer. Doc has given him a clean bill of health...there will however be routine follow ups now.

He is a very fortunate individual, the power of prayer does work

What's the prostate check like ?

Rectal exam. Just get it done. After about 5 times it's nothing new.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    I have to ask you: before you went through all this, was it your opinion that life is no fun? Or, was it your opinion that life is good? Either way, did your opinion of life change after this experience?

Reason I ask, I have already decided on no chemo and no radiation. Just some surgery if necessary and then be kept comfortable and go with whatever my body does next.
    I am and have always been a fun-loving person. I am known for my good sense of humor and never take myself too seriously. I always see the glass as half-full and try to be optimistic, but certainly realistic.

The queen and I have no kids of our own, so we travel and enjoy life.

I should have gotten a living well before I went under the knife, but I didn't. This is something that I must do in the near future.

I would have gone thru radiation and chemo if needed. Life's too short, I'm only 44, and I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. 20 years from now may be a different story.

My outlook on life hasn't really changed. As I stated in my original post, I do feel like I am a very lucky man. My philosophy has always been to treat others the way I want to be treated. A few months ago, this site had a collection going for "KoolBeans" who lost his hand in an accident and had mounting medical bills. I sent him a check and wished him the best. Maybe God blessed me in return. I'm not sure.

Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by selfemployed View Post
    What's the prostate check like ?

Rectal exam. Just get it done. After about 5 times it's nothing new.
    Try to get a doctor with small fingers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast