+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you are over age 50, please get a colonoscopy ASAP

Post Likes

If you are over age 50, please get a colonoscopy ASAP

I debated for several weeks on posting this thread. Sometimes personal things are better off kept private. But if just one person reads this thread, and follows my advice, I would feel better knowing that I helped someone whom I have never met.

I was supposed to get a colonoscopy 4 years ago, at age 40, because my father had colon cancer. You are supposed to get one at age 40 if colon cancer is in your family, age 50 if it is not in your family. I wimped out because the thought of having to go thru the bowel prep the day before the exam, coupled with the thought of a 10 foot hose shoved up my butt didn't sound too good.

On December 3rd, at 44, I finally went for the colonoscopy. The bowel prep the day before wasn't too bad, and I was knocked out for the actual procedure. Before the procedure, I was told that I would be in a "twilight" state, but I was out cold.

In the recovery room, patients are passing gas (air) that was pumped into the colon during the procedure. It was a fart party, and I was happy to participate. I heard the nurse say to the other patients that their results were good. I was told that the doctor would see me in a little while. Hmmm. Not good. The doctor told my wife and I that I needed to see a surgeon immediately. I had a small mass (polyp) that could not be removed during the colonoscopy. He took 3 snips of the mass for a biopsy.

My wife got a copy of the doctor's report before we left the office. Trying to read the medical verbage, and reading between lines, it said that I had cancer of the sigmoid which is the lower part of the colon. I was floored.

After feeling sorry for myself and drinking myself into oblivion, I went to see the surgeon 3 days later. Trying to calm my fears, he said that surgery was required whether the mass was cancer or not. 12 inches of my colon would be removed, and the entire mass would be checked for cancer after the surgery.

5 days later I went under the knife. I was in the hospital for 6 days and I am home now recovering. Each day I get stronger and feel better.

When I went back to the surgeon to get the staples removed, I was told that the biopsy results were in, and I did indeed have invasive cancer. I was floored again. The cancer had spread thru several layers of the colon, but had remained in the colon, so I don't need chemo or radiation.

I consider myself a very lucky man. Lucky that I didn't wait any longer and lucky that I live in a day and age where colon cancer can be detected early.

I end my saga by asking that if you are over age 50, please get a colonoscopy as soon as possible. It could save your life. It certainly saved mine.

Take care.

Post Likes
    Glad to hear it was caught in time before it spread to other places.

Also get your prostate exam, I had prostate cancer when I was 42, they took it out, re occurred 4 yrs later, had to do chemo and radiation, but has been good for 8 yrs

Post Likes
    Glad to hear it was caught in time.

Post Likes
    When they did mine I was awake and watched it on a TV monitor. Looked like science fiction.

I had 10 polyps and I watched him cut them out like he was playing a video game. The nurse was one of my customers. That was the only em- bare-ass-ing thing.

None of my were cancerous. I have no fear of doing it again which I think is coming up next year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    When they did mine I was awake and watched it on a TV monitor. Looked like science fiction.

I had 10 polyps and I watched him cut them out like he was playing a video game. The nurse was one of my customers. That was the only em- bare-ass-ing thing.

None of my were cancerous. I have no fear of doing it again which I think is coming up next year.
    It almost sounds like you are looking forward to it just a little bit to much there Beenie?

I had it done before the age of 40, piece of cake really. I was scared about the whole thing but really...it is nothing. It is very discrete and may save your life.

Its much easier than getting a digital exam in the office where all they do is humiliate you.

This is a serious subject, when its time, man up and get it done!
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Post Likes
    We have talked about this before in here.
    I had one at 50, 6 years ago, and am due for another.
    One small benign polyp removed, no biggie, thank God.
    My wife's cousin went in for one and they found a huge tumor and had to remove it. No cancer but they said he would have been dead in a year if he hadn't had the procedure. He had no symptoms, none.
    Good luck Gary, thats tough.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    We have talked about this before in here.
    I had one at 50, 6 years ago, and am due for another.
    One small benign polyp removed, no biggie, thank God.
    My wife's cousin went in for one and they found a huge tumor and had to remove it. No cancer but they said he would have been dead in a year if he hadn't had the procedure. He had no symptoms, none.
    Good luck Gary, thats tough.

Hadn't reached 40 yet but these tests are a doubled edge sword. One of my cousin's brothers went in to have the test and they found some benign polyp. He talked my cousing into going get one and they found something, did exploratory surgery and closed her right back up, she died within a month and a half. A person, walking, talking, breathing, was not sick, look paled, looked and felt a clean bill of health, took the test and a month and a half later was dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    A colonoscopy is a very simple and reliable procedure, anyone age 50 or having a family history of colon cancer should get it.
    Them is the facts.

Post Likes
    Hmmm, Physical coming up, I am at that age where the doc has told me no more smoking, drinking, eating things bad for me, jerking off, etc, etc , etc

Gonna have to man up on this end and git-r-dun I guess, I had a cancer scare about 2 years ago with a lymph node that went screwy and I had to have it removed due to the suspicion of cancer,, scared the crap out of me.....

Getting older sucks.....

Post Likes
    Have had 2 already at 55. The man is right, stop making excuses and
    GET ER DONE
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    my brother at 51 years old was having problems going #2 in 99'and 2000 and slight bleeding everytime he went.then went in and was diagnosted with stage 3 cancer with a systes the size of a golf ball in his upper colan.he was operated on November 2000 and had his ass sewn up,and had a colonoscopy bag to carry around into 2001.his life choice....to let it ride with no treatment and be dead by Febrary 2001,or go with the double hit of chemo-radiation.the systes caught his lymp glands and it had spread prior to the surgery he was an out pataint for 5 months(kemo hits).then the trips got too much,and he went into Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center for the final 5 months laying on a air custioned mattress stairing at the ceiling...never to leave.he passed away 5AM Sunday morning September 3rd,2001 i took off that whole week to bury him,and went back to work that following Monday September 10th,2001 in midtown Manhattan....and then that next day.......i was numb with thoughts of comparing the two events.hope this scares the hell out of all those debating this subject don't let money be an excuse either...for your families sake and the future.if you see anything even looking like blood in your bowl go right to the doctor for an exam .i have had 3 since and it is easy with no pain or loss of dignity........GO DO IT
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    I guess your talking about me, though you don't know it. At 58 I've never had one and actually only had one physical in the last 20 years. No history of that in our family but your right and I have been thinking about mortality lately.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes

have not had the virtual or actual colonoscopy and way overdue

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    The cancer had spread thru several layers of the colon, but had remained in the colon, so I don't need chemo or radiation.
    I have to ask you: before you went through all this, was it your opinion that life is no fun? Or, was it your opinion that life is good? Either way, did your opinion of life change after this experience?

Reason I ask, I have already decided on no chemo and no radiation. Just some surgery if necessary and then be kept comfortable and go with whatever my body does next.

For non-life threatening stuff, I recommend reading
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Well-Pers.../dp/0773527958
    It has a segment on colon polyps ("there is money in each colon; all you have to do is get it."

Post Likes
    I had one done at 50. Very glad I did it knowing they only found one polyp and it was checked to find it was non cancerous. I didn't hesitate doing it because I knew other fellows my age were not so lucky and had to have parts of their colon removed. I remembered horror stories told before hand of the prep which I found wasn't that bad. Nobody should ever put off having this done when it's available.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I guess I have a little more than a year and I will most certainly under go the test.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    I'm 54 and had my first one 6 months ago. Prep suck: shi$%ing for 6-8 hours but procedure is like watching funky tv.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Post Likes
    I have to agree the prep is no picnic and neither is the fasting. I was told I would be sedated and it was painless and under a sort of foginess during the procedure. I was faced toward the computer screen and I think I remember part of the journey of he scope. After my recovery and farting exit from the hospital my wife was kind enough to take me the nearest IHOP for a breakfast feast since it was an early morning appointment. That was 2 years ago and recently was the wife's turn so I got to enjoy another breakfast. Oh, the joys of growing older.
    Last edited by Trublshter; 01-23-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    The test is nothing, the drug they give you is out of this world.
    The day before prep is brutal though.

Post Likes
    Dice said it, there are quite a few threads in here on this, but it always bears (no pun intended !) repeating ..

I had my first at 41 (family history) and they took 3 out at that time. Turns out 1 was pre-cancerous. Doc says I would have been gone by 50 ...

Had my second at 44 .. Clean .. now am on the 5-year plan ....

Post Likes
    Well I've had it twice and within the next month will go for 3rd. i agree with others ......this getting old stinks (67)

Gary ...thanx for starting this thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in