Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Is the unit a split or package? We had to add a sub-cooler due to liquid line height on a building one time but it wasn't a factory sub-cooler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by parttimetech View Post
    @OP:

Incidentally, which one of the tandems is the burnout, the lead or lag compressor?

I am also curious if you identified the underlying cause of the burnout and if you plan to replace just the burnout and replace only the oil on the working tandem compressor or if you will be replacing both tandems?
    I don't think it's a lead/lag setup, which makes the design even more unusual. I don't have a copy of the schematics here at home, but I'm pretty sure they both run together off Y1, with only the CLO board in the individual circuits. So, tandem 7.5 tonners for first stage, and a single 7.5 for second stage. Seems needlessly complex t'me. IDK, I didn't design the thing.

I don't know about replacing one or both or what to do with it. I've always assumed from what I've been told that they had to be replaced as a set, but I've never done it before, either. It doesn't look like they come as a set. I mean, both compressors are bolted to the same pan as the third one, not on a plate like tandems usually are. If they are sold as a set, great. That's probably a few less connections to make myself.

You can see from the picture, there's no room to get either compressor out easily, the suction crossover tube is almost impossible to get to, and I haven't the faintest clue where to squeeze in a suction drier.

3. Likes parttimetech liked this post
    Post Likes
    I would almost positively say that they come as a set, which is safer and less labor-intensive anyway since it's a burnout situation. You could probably squeeze a pancake-style suction drier in there somewhere, but room for ball valves to isolate and remove it is another story. That's a weird duck you got there.

Post Likes
    Honestly, I think the only way to get one "in" there would be to drill two holes in the cabinet to the right of the door, which is where the suction line goes up, and pipe the suction lines out of the cabinet, and have a drier sticking out of the cabinet. That'd be pretty fugly looking for a unit that is only 9 years old. I don't know if anybody, me or the customer, would be super excited about that.
    Last edited by CHAINIK; 02-17-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Post Likes
    It is an interesting problem. If the tandem always runs as a pair, then I imagine whatever underlying condition killed one has also been hard on the other and the surviving compressor is not far from the grave. Probably have to replace them both like ju-lu597 suggests. Maybe the manufacturer sells some clever repair couplings for making this change out? With it being only 9 years old they surely must have a guide.

Post Likes
    Why not put an elbow down on each compressor, fitter suction drier, then a "U" bend back into an elbow back into the "tee"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Why not put an elbow down on each compressor, fitter suction drier, then a "U" bend back into an elbow back into the "tee"
    There's not nearly enough room for that. Those suction lines are only about 2 or 3 inches from the compressor to the suction tee, and the one on the right is butted up against the cabinet wall. The whole thing is 10 pounds of you-know-what in a 5 pound bag. The picture makes it look roomier than it really is. That would require, unless I am mistaken, a minimum of a 30cu drier, if not a 40, right? No way two of those are going in there. When the door is shut, there's only about an inch or less between the door and that suction tee.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    There's not nearly enough room for that. Those suction lines are only about 2 or 3 inches from the compressor to the suction tee, and the one on the right is butted up against the cabinet wall. The whole thing is 10 pounds of you-know-what in a 5 pound bag. The picture makes it look roomier than it really is. That would require, unless I am mistaken, a minimum of a 30cu drier, if not a 40, right? No way two of those are going in there. When the door is shut, there's only about an inch or less between the door and that suction tee.
    With that pic, you should be in real estate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234