Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old GE

I dont know if you can tell by the pic, but there is only about 4" between the furnace and the water heater for servicing. Needless to say the blower has never been pulled.

Heres the nasty coil that was on top.

[Edited by Boss on 12-28-2003 at 10:17 PM]

Question

The furnace is PLUGED in to the wall with an electrical cord.
    Is that legal in YOUR jurisdiction?
    I have seen it many times in Iowa, but I am told it does NOT meet code.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Furnaces plugged into the wall is how 99.99% of the units here get power. The part about it being draped over the gas flex is not good. If lightning were to strike the house the gas flex could turn into a giant resistor and glow red hot.

Here is one that got hit by lightning just the other day....note the burn mark on the sheet rock from the gas flex getting so hot. It also discolored the flex near the connection.

Here is what it did to the stat wire....needless to say the transformer was toast.

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 10-30-2002 at 01:10 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

In Pensacola Florida, the inspector interpreted the National Gas Code to say we "MUST" have a dedicated 110V outlet with a plug. 50 miles away in Daphne Alabama, the inspector interpreted the same code to say you MUST have a 15 amp light switch, and a plug and cord was a violation.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

interesting photos glad ive never run across installs that bad in ma must be hard wired dedicated circuit hace seen a/c
    air handlers with no emergency pans and a/coils installed in
    return plenum of oil fired furnace

In Canada eh; we have to have it hard wired on its own 15 amp circuit with a disconnect switch within arms reach of the furnace eh!

I have never seen a fry up as a result of a lightning strike
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    <snip>
    Here is one that got hit by lightning just the other day....note the burn mark on the sheet rock from the gas flex getting so hot. It also discolored the flex near the connection.
    <snip>

Damn, that's scary!

I ran into a few of these plug-in jobs down in Austin, but never a woolybugger like this. How was the furnace grounded?

Gas Flex

You also gotta love those "Custom"
    bends on that Gas line

never mind the furnace I was admiring the gas wip going to the water tank lol

Originally posted by wkhawkins
    never mind the furnace I was admiring the gas wip going to the water tank lol
    Those are water lines.

look between the furnace and the water tank against the wall, that is a gas wip its either going to the furnace or the w.tank

Its going to the furnace.

Exclamation

feel bad for the company thats paying that guy to go out and do work for them.
    have a good day bud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast