Post Likes

Blackened glass screen

Earlier in the season, I did a PM at a customer's house and they asked if I'd look at their gas fireplace for them because the glass screen always gets sooted up. I don't know much about fireplaces, but I inspected the flue and burners. The best suggestion I gave them is to keep the gas valve open fully to get the fireplace hot, which might lead to better combustion.

They called back today (3 months later), said it's sooted up again, and was wondering if I'd take a look tomorrow. From what I've read about fireplaces, the logs have to be in the correct orientation, which I didn't look at last time, but I was hoping you all could give me some other suggestions. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Nevermind, I figured out it has an air shutter that was completely closed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Look to see if it has a screen "washing" setup. It's something that makes air flow across the screen in a certain pattern to help prevent the blackening. It may be something as simple as a rail with slots cut into it. If they are dirty the patter gets disrupted.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Shutters would do it.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Logs will definitely do it too. Had a call last week and the glass on the fireplace was as black as if they'd been burning coal in it. The customer had been doing her own maintenance and just tossed the logs into it like it was a wood stove I've done actual chimney sweeping and not gotten as dirty as I did cleaning that thing.

6. Likes GoCougs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    Logs will definitely do it too. Had a call last week and the glass on the fireplace was as black as if they'd been burning coal in it. The customer had been doing her own maintenance and just tossed the logs into it like it was a wood stove I've done actual chimney sweeping and not gotten as dirty as I did cleaning that thing.
    Yeah, I looked at the diagram for the logs too and they were positioned wrong. I fixed that as well. The manual called for a 1/8" opening for the shutter, but I just opened it until the flame was 25/75 blue/orange because I don't get how you can measure how much it's opened or closed.

Post Likes
    I put three coats of RainX on my glass doors and dry buffed it. Glass wipes off with wet paper towels. Works great on shower doors and my glass sinks too.
    I only have to make it work till I retire.