Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent installs

Post Likes

Recent installs

I always forget to take the before pics, guess I am too focused on getting the new one in. I took out a vintage 1985 Trane 135k/BTU and put in this 2 stg. 60K/BTU. Then a couple of weeks later I came back to install the new 50 Gal. water heater, I put it on blocks in a pan and piped it to the condensate pump because they just remodeled the finish basement. The old system had the 20x25 honeywell filter so I made a return box to accommodate it and put turning vanes in the return drop. I also make the file holder on site, it's below the humidifier control. In this pic the pump drain line has tape from the hose to the cpvc because I didn't have the barb adapter but it was install later.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Well done sir

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Why the pressure tank? Seen that a few times but never knew why.
    Nice work.

Post Likes
    The expansion tank goes on every install now because as the PRV's and water meters get changed out all of the new ones have check valves. Also it is in the WH manual to install it.

5. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks. Did not know that but I'm not a plumber either.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeysmith View Post
    Why the pressure tank? Seen that a few times but never knew why.
    Nice work.
    It is an expansion tank, You set the pressure in it to match your system pressure as the pressure increases it gives it a place to go. And I'm not a plumber it is kind of heating guy knowledge
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

8. Likes Asm Mechanical liked this post
    Post Likes
    Always nice to see a water heater in a safety pan with a drain line. I guess you guys don't have earthquakes. Around here that tank would be double strapped to a wall. T&P drain line is code? It would have to be routed downhill to the outside otherwise a Watts gas shut off valve. If it blows on yours it would enter the pan and the condensate pump would pump it out so maybe they let that go. If you didn't have the safety pan and pump would they let it end at the floor?

Nice work on the furnace installation. What material is the condensate pump drain line? Is it the plastic that comes with the pump? I have been told 3/8" copper should not be used with a HE FAU as the water is acidic and over time will eat out the copper line. Because of this I would recommend plastic or PVC.

Post Likes
    Nice job i would have put the low voltage wiring in a junction box i hate seeing wire tied wires and wire nuts like that

Post Likes
    T&P drain line is code? Yes. If it blows on yours it would enter the pan and the condensate pump would pump it out so maybe they let that go. If you didn't have the safety pan and pump would they let it end at the floor? Yes.

Nice work on the furnace installation. What material is the condensate pump drain line? Is it the plastic that comes with the pump? I have been told 3/8" copper should not be used with a HE FAU as the water is acidic and over time will eat out the copper line. Because of this I would recommend plastic or PVC.[/QUOTE] I use 1/2" cpvc for the condensate drain line, it is 3/8" I.D. so the same as the vinyl tubing. I run the tube high then gravity pitch it w/ "J" hooks to the crock or sink.

Post Likes
    Some places now have backflow valves in the service so the water needs somewhere to expand since it can't return from whence it came.

Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    It is an expansion tank, You set the pressure in it to match your system pressure as the pressure increases it gives it a place to go. And I'm not a plumber it is kind of heating guy knowledge
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    I always pump them up, but most plumbers just throw em on to pass inspection. I imagine they probably pop within a week when the plumbers put them in.

Post Likes
    I understand the reason for an expansion tank. Just don't see many around here on the domestic side of the water unless it's on a well. Didn't realize they were starting to put backflow prevention in the meters. Learn something every day.

Post Likes
    Old furnace a tad oversized huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast