Post Likes

Look Before You Buy

Guy buys a strip mall and asks us to give him a rundown on the hvac equipment... he has already bought the building...lol Wants a maintenance contract.

Its all junk.. no filters in anything but one unit and it had filters marked 2013... fans filthy... half of the units are dead.

This is one trane... combustion blower is shorted and running all the time.... you can smell the kitchen below thru the combustion outlet.... lol They have it wired with jumpers to run cooling only.... thank goodness

Name:  IMG_3320.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3325.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3324.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  117.4 KB
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    sorry about the sideways picks...... Iphone.... I meant to fix those but forgot.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Are those your jumpers in the last picture or did someone else leave them? That's awful looking.

Post Likes
    Do not laugh , you may get the contract to work on that cr#p. I hate those accounts.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Yeah, ive had customers put ridiculous amounts of money into getting them "up and running". Then they get all pissed when it breaks down a week later, then a month later and then they say I may as well replaced the equipment, and blame you. Even though you told them it wasnt worth it.
    UA Local 562

6. Likes VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Had a guy buy an office complex with 10-12(I don't recall exactly) RTUs and a few splits. Complex had been empty for a couple years and real estate company guys had been maintaining it.

After second unit, I stopped inspecting them and told the new owner to find another company to service them.

Pigeons living in the units(should all be replaced, poop everywhere and it stunk!!!!), no water for cleaning, no filters, horrendous access and you could tell he wasn't going to spend the needed money to make it right.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Lately I've been to a few rooftop junkyards. 8 to 10 year old Scarriers with holes in the HE and header, a hunk of rust that is the IDM that amazingly not only runs, but makes a switch and lights up. Two and three year old filters, and a barely there belt. What runs through my head is "Dude is not gonna pay for this....."

Trane voyager units are just as aggravating, even when the unit is maintained the HE crumbles to the touch. I look at the date of manufacture and bid replacement, knowing I'll not hear from them.

The shopping center property owners are usually scabs who throw responsibility for replacing capital equipment on the tenants, who usually are hard pressed to pay the recent service call.

Post Likes
    I never tried it...
    Will the local gas company go up on the roof and condemn an RTU... and turn the gas off?

Might be a way to communicate some common sense... grin!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    I'm sure the owner already factored in the age and replacement cost in their bid for the building. They either dropped the price or got an allowance. In either case, they will try to milk the units as long as they can or after a tenant complains and withholds rent. Then they will replace.

Make sure you keep good PM records.

Post Likes
    Don't mean to sound dumb but what is HE IDM and RTU. I'm new to this so please don't bash me haha..

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    An HE is a heat exchanger, an IDM is an induced draft motor or an induced draft motor assembly. An RTU is a roof top unit, usually an all electric or gas/electric machine that combines the entirety of the heating and cooling systems into one body, called a package. Sometimes referred to as a package unit. They are also configured as heat pumps, and can be equipped with fresh air ventilation systems called economizers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Are those your jumpers in the last picture or did someone else leave them? That's awful looking.
    No... whoever has been "servicing" this equipment left them..... Even if I was going to rig up some BS like that....... I keep plenty of extra wire and terminals on the truck..... lol

We have quite a bit of junk come thru our junkyard...... and when I find a unit with nice clean shiny wire....... I cut them out..... and of course I keep stranded on the truck too...

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Shady for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk