Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactechdan View Post
    I seems that state (all states) inspectors are trying to validate their jobs by doing inspections & condeming systems that have backflo preventers but no check valves, witch they believe is not enough protection to the domestic water system, I think it's B/S but you can't fight city hall.
    But actually... we can charge for this work (if it's not a new installation)
    Check with your local dip s*#t inspector.
    In most instances, there are already 2 check valves installed with you have an auto-fill valve and a backflow preventer. For example, a Watts 1156F auto-fill has "...a tight seating check valve..." and the Watts 9D backflow preventer has "...two tight sealing rubber check valves..." All you need to do is go to the Watts website www.watts.com and put in the part number. Burn a copy of the specs for your inspector and rub his nose in it. A Watts 911 combination auto-fill w/backflow preventer therefore has a total of 3 check valves incorporated into the systems and these valves are accepted in all 50 States and many foreign countries as being plenty of protection when properly installed and maintained. Now there's four key words in that last statement to bring some installations into question, I'll admit.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Great post skippedover. Have you ever filled a boiler with just the reducing valve and nothing behind it? Yup, it checks up and no leaks. I first saw this with another company because they don't install the backflow device, they farm plumbers out to do that. The installers will fill by garden hose and get them going and the plumber comes in afterwards to install the backflow (in some cases). Also, our jurisdiction doesn't allow the backflow shown in the picture as it has no test ports, we have to use the watts RP device 009-QT-1/2" with air gap.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Dont you need 12" of straight run before the air scoop?

You know that air scoop is doing nothing right? You should have at least 18" of straight pipe before it.You should have piped you feed water into as well. Why put the PRV and backflow preventer up so high?
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Actually it was doing ok, after refilling I was able to bleed air from it several times. And the people in the house was happy as well, the system was operating a lot quieter after all the work was done.

One other person made those comments as well, main problem is I didn't have 18" between the 90's, and they noticed that it wasn't possible because of the lack of room.

And as for the 9D and the PRV being so high, again because of the location of the incoming water line was at the ceiling level.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

I dont think Ive ever seen acheck valve installed before a backflow and auto feeder. I know we dont install them that way. Also, the backflow has to be piped before the water feeder correct?

Then I would gone with a Spirovent. But your feed water should always be tie in between Air scoop and your expansion tank.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

What no drip leg for the backflow?
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand. Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12