Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Dollar General plumbing hack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Post Likes
    may be a hack... may not be. what's it for?
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Hot water heater, electric. Look at the chip taken out of the pvc female adapter. Why didn't he just attach the sharkbyte to the pvc? Plus, I would never put a brass male threaded fitting to a female plastic fitting, with dope and Teflon added to the threads? Good way to split that female fitting

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    Hot water heater, electric. Look at the chip taken out of the pvc female adapter. Why didn't he just attach the sharkbyte to the pvc? Plus, I would never put a brass male threaded fitting to a female plastic fitting, with dope and Teflon added to the threads? Good way to split that female fitting

Correct me if I'm wrong, Shark bites won't fit over sch. 40 pvc, a threaded fitting must be used. I have had to use this several times in my area. It seemed to work. No problems reported to me yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    if it's from the relief valve of a hot water tank you're missing the bigger problem and focusing on minutia...

(minutia)

- chips are ugly, but they dont necessarily mean a failure (there's little to no pressure on a relief line that will likely never be used)
    - sometimes tape and dope are REQUIRED to make a seal. I had this in a Cuno/3M water filter housing the other day. It was a b1tch to fix after it was all installed

(major)

- pex is not approved to be a relief line because it and the fittings reduce the size of the outlet of the relief valve

the type of the water heater has no bearing on the conversation
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

6. Likes JohninJoliet liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by a4s_hvac View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Shark bites won't fit over sch. 40 pvc, a threaded fitting must be used.
    you are correct

Post Likes
    This whole thing would not pass in my area.
    Has to be copper all the way.

Post Likes
    It's not the relief. It's the cold water feed. And sharkbyte wills leave over sch.40

Post Likes
    I'm with Jerz. Never use a Female adapter on PVC pipe. It's not strong enough and will likely split when you screw something into it. Male adapters are stronger and don't have this problem. If you absolutely have to have female threads on your PVC pipe, use a male adapter and then something like a brass coupling on top of that.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    Kind of expensive way to do the entire repair, two shark bites, why not run pvc directly to the water heater? Pex is right up there with flex duct, most who use it do so because they don't know how to pipe, just as most using flex have no idea how to run hard duct. In my area I try to steer homeowners from putting anything in their attic. If the ducting is not in the attic we used 100% sheetmetal. But I digress, pex can look good if the time is taken to attach it to the structure.
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

Post Likes
    Didn't think PVC was approved for ANY portion of household water supply.
    This is especially true for a water heater. There is a possibility of heated water in contact with PVC and it's not rated for that.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Codes very in different areas, but in most areas PVC is allowed for cold water piping. CPVC can be used for cold and hot water.

Luckily most people know that PVC and CPVC both suck, so you don't see it used very often.

Post Likes
    Sharks only connect to CTS pipe like CPVC, copper and pex. PVC is IPS like galvanized and iron.

15. Likes Tim Hvac66 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast