+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The United States explicitly prohibit the use of R410A and R134a refrigerant

Post Likes

The United States explicitly prohibit the use of R410A and R134a refrigerant

Recently, the U.S. Department of environmental protection (EPA) announced two new regulations, in the prohibition of the use of some existing refrigerants, while tightening the leakage rate limits, thereby reducing HFC emissions. Since January 1, 2021, a number of high GWP refrigerants have been banned from use in certain new products, including R404A, R134a, R407C and R410A.
    R404A and R507A are widely used for high GWP refrigerant, since 2021, will be banned for use in food retail refrigeration equipment new production, at the same time, since January 1, 2023, the prohibition of the use in the new production of cold storage equipment. In addition, the ban also includes the so-called system transformation with mixed refrigerant R407A and R407B.

Post Likes
    and there will be another exodus of refrigeration techs from the field, much like when R12, R502 went bye bye.

If the politicians at the EPA would shut up, one major source of "global warming" would be fixed!

Post Likes
    Translation:

A few BIG corporations are not making enough profit from their exclusive licensing agreements on those refrigerants...
    So they go crying to the govt for a legal reason to get their gravy train re-instated (the old one is dangerous... we have to have a new one... or the sky will fall).

Bunch of BS if you ask me...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

4. Likes lions_lair, tmt, Nuclrchiller, Smtimelevi liked this post.
    Post Likes

The United States explicitly prohibit the use of R410A and R134a refrigerant

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Translation:

A few BIG corporations are not making enough profit from their exclusive licensing agreements on those refrigerants...
    So they go crying to the govt for a legal reason to get their gravy train re-instated (the old one is dangerous... we have to have a new one... or the sky will fall).

Bunch of BS if you ask me...
    Just look at it this way, more money for us too... repairs now cost to much so sell new equipment.

My 22 price is at a point where I make money either way, on the repair or a new system.

Not saying I agree with them on the whole GW but, it is what it is at this point.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Jerry Chircop, CHAINIK liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did someone say something about someones patent running out ?

Post Likes
    Opteon™ YF (HFO-1234yf)

Coming to a system near you SOON.....

Post Likes
    As of today, HFOs found in a number of applications. In refrigeration and heat pump technology HFO-1234yf has been chosen to replace R134a in MAC systems; HFO-1234ze(E) and HFO-1233zd(E) are used in chillers [9] [10] and HFO-1336mzz has suggested for high temperature heat pumps [11].

The application of new HFOs extended when they used as a component of lower GWP refrigerant mixtures. For instance, HFO-1234yf and/or HFO-1234ze(E) are components of new refrigerant mixtures (e.g. R448A, R449A, R450A, R513A) that aim to replace traditional refrigerants with high environmental impact. These new refrigerant mixtures are already supported by leading compressor manufacturers [12] [13] with some reliability concerns due to comparatively higher compressor discharge temperatures of some of the new refrigerants [14].

Post Likes
    I was reading the Johnstone catalog last night trying to fall asleep and noticed they still sell R12 freezer units. Does that mean these units are decades old? I figured it was against the law to sell a new R12 unit but guess I'm wrong?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Opteon™ YF (HFO-1234yf)

Coming to a system near you SOON.....
    Just talked to a carrier factory rep today, at a training class.

He said 1234 isn't gonna fly.
    It's expensive enough they are selling it by the gram.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    I think i have a gram scale i could use.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

13. Likes Juan Madera, sweat hog liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Why am I not upset by the EPA's budget cuts?

Post Likes
    I'm so sick of it I could puke.

Post Likes
    I don't give a rats butt what they come up with, Im going to use what I can and charge accordingly
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

17. Likes hevysrf liked this post.
    Post Likes
    At this point I think someone is really mad they didn't patent 134a..
    From what my father has run across, he's seen 134a used in chillers, coolers, freezers and some other equipment.
    I believe it was DuPont or Forane, I might be wrong, but they weren't able to get their hands on 134a. Which would have been great if whichever major seller did.
    R-134a is quite similar to R-22 (obviously not in pressures) but it's not a blend. Since it can be used in high-med-low temp refrigeration (like 22 was) I don't understand why we just done use 134a solely..(universal refrigerant like 134a and not as harmful as R-22 or R-11/12. If it's used for chillers, why not residential?)
    R-1234yf is an explosive refrigerant, and it was brushed off, apparently R-32 is going to replace somethings, and might be another R-blend. \o/
    I think really if the EPA was so worried about the environment, they'd push for having 134a as the only refrigerant, and if they really wanted to, find another azeotrope refrigerant with less GWP than R-134a.
    But lets see what the future holds, I'm not excited to have to learn how to use new refrigerants again, but someone needs to make the money.
    Anyway we can make a petition for the sole use of R-134a? lol

Though if anyone knows, correct me if I'm wrong with the patent issue.

Post Likes
    R134a doesn't work on freezers outside of the residential units. It also increases initial cost on the larger equipment as it requires larger piping. And R22 didn't work very well on freezers either... demand cooling was a work around.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I think i have a gram scale i could use.
    You played darts too? Can't go over 18 grams!

If thinking was easy,
    everyone would do it!

Regarding Russian Roulette; five out of six players think it is a safe, enjoyable game!

"And I've been banned twice. What of it? If you aren't getting banned once every 3 years, you aren't trying." Brian8383

"it's actually 90 right now in this shaded area of satan's butthole." - HVAC_marc

“Don't believe signature quotes.” - George Washington

Post Likes
    I have come to the conclusion that Im getting to old for this crap. Im tired of telling my customers, with 5 or 6 year old systems, that the refrigerant is going to be obsolete in 5 or 6 years.

Im going to try and be retired by 2022. all you younger kids can deal with this nonsense
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

22. Likes Smtimelevi liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that Im getting to old for this crap. Im tired of telling my customers, with 5 or 6 year old systems, that the refrigerant is going to be obsolete in 5 or 6 years.

Im going to try and be retired by 2022. all you younger kids can deal with this nonsense
    5 more years..

I will be right behind you...Then
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

24. Likes jmac00 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post

You still got the wing?
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Well with all the units going to inverter driven compressors.... the capacitor changer thing will end along with 24v/mechanical controls. We may as well make being a refrigerant jockey a worthwhile trade:-)

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in