Post Likes

Confused Is a 180 degree turn right out of a Heat pump is okay... pic attached

Dear HVAC Experts,

I desperately need your help. I bought a new $-$ 4 Ton 2-stage Carrier HVAC in 2012. It has 4 zones for a 3100 sf house. After owing it for a couple years we discovered mold on the outside of the big round zone tubes (not sure the correct term). The drain pan was ALWAYS FULL of water in the summer and that caused the humidity all over to rise and propagate mold spores.

They said I needed new ducts, I paid for new ducts, they leaked. Company came and "fixed' them. They leaked again. I had hundreds of "Static" errors, air being pushed back into the box etc.

Company came back again and re did the ducts - insulated better... still cold to the touch in summer and still wet at top of the box where the arrow is.

I want to sell my house without problems. IS this up to code? Is this 180 degree turn right at the box okay?

Please help!

Thank you!

KristyName:  HvacPic.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  111.6 KB
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-11-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Prices

Post Likes

If you have another picture a bit farther away... this
    one's too close for me anyway.

I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Where is your home located?
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    Radius shall not be less than 1 duct diameter--Pricing is not allowed, Your problems are multiple from improper install to "Possibly oversized equipment on undersized ducts"
    Infinity is trying to tell you something
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    I'm in South Carolina near the coast. Those tubes coming off are the hard metal ones - attaching to the flex pipe. So would an inspector call me on this? I paid them $ more just to go in and do this part. Should I go back and tell them it's wrong again? Or is the 180 turn okay/

I'll try to get another pic but my attic (this is above my 3 story high house) is very tiny. Thank you. :-)

I just want to know if I can sell or if I need to make them come back here and fix it, and what to tell them is wrong.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-11-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Here are some extra pics..thanks everybody.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Likes
    Please don't post prices. Price discussion is against the rules of the site. I know your system was expensive and it should provide you comfort and economical operation.

The drain pan, which I assume is an external pan, is there as a protection in case the primary drain is not working. An external pan should never be full of water. There is a drain pan inside the unit which should have only a little, if any, water in it if the unit is sloped in the right direction.
    A 180* turn is detrimental to air flow. There are probably a number of things that could be improved. The static pressure errors confirm that the duct system is restrictive. Air does not get "pushed back into the box," it simply cannot leave the box when there is too much resistance from closed dampers or undersized ducts.
    Did your contractor perform a load calculation when choosing the new equipment? Too often equipment is larger than needed and the duct system is not increased to accommodate the air flow. A zoned system requires careful planning and installation to provide enough air flow for the equipment when the smallest zone is operating alone.
    You may need to have the system assessed by a different contractor. You need someone with a good understanding of duct design and air flow. There is a link in my sig to the online map of our members.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I can't find a place to edit the prices out. Can I do that? Thank you for the link. Do you know if any building codes reference how they are put together? Thanks again, K

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristyk_19 View Post
    I can't find a place to edit the prices out. Can I do that? Thank you for the link. Do you know if any building codes reference how they are put together? Thanks again, K
    A moderator will remove the prices.

Codes differ. A local contractor will know about your local codes. The equipment will have some specifications about maximum static pressure. This can usually be found on the rating plate either on or in the unit. Much of the information you need will be in the installation instructions. Too often the installers have the attitude "that's good enough" instead of "let's make this system perform its best" because it takes more time to do the job right.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

9. Likes doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristyk_19 View Post
    Poof, prices gone. LOL
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    More than likely a homeowner inspector is not going to know about ductwork design. And if you call these yo-yos back they might even make it worse?