Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Please, get someone to do a heat loss/ gain for the home and install the one that "fits," not just the same as was there.... Chances are that the original was guesswork to start with.

Even if you have to get an independent person to "crunch" the numbers so you can tell the limited choice of installers what Your home needs. This profession is just like any other. Some bright stars, some dim ones and some black hearts, sadly.

Post Likes
    Looking at the equipment only:

The Carrier is the low end of the replacement line. Made in America. The air handler has a high efficiency blower motor so gets you decent ratings.

The Lennox is a low end unit made in Mexico. 14 SEER, the air handler has a standard motor so you would not get 15.

The Trane is a nice 14 SEER model made in America. Spine Fin outdoor coil, nice louvered cabinet with power paint, demand defrost. The TEM4 3.5 ton has a high efficiency blower motor but the rating is still 14 SEER with this combo. Good stuff though, I just ordered one an hour ago under the American Standard name for one of our regulars.

Post Likes
    Okay, so if I went with the Lennox (the best installer out of the 3) then I wouldn't be eligible for the federal rebate?

Post Likes
    The federal tax credits ( not called federal rebates ) expired 31 Dec. 2016 needed to be energy star rated at 15 SEER minimum and 12.5 EER 8.5 HSPF for a split system Heat Pump. Under " Why Energy Star " is the 2016 credits.

https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits

In regards to state rebates I'm not sure if they continued with those you can search this site as one source.

http://www.dsireusa.org/

The AHRI number you provided for the Lennox says it will give you 15.5 SEER 13 EER, 8.5 HSPF on paper ( doubt you will get that in the real world ) but for rebate purposes should qualify if you can find an offer from your state.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-11-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Post Likes
    What THERMAL BUILDING ENVELOP Enhancements have been added in the last 15 to 20 years?

What is
    1. your Thermal Balance Point ...
    ........ 26,200 BTU/HR heat output at 17'F is given in the AHRI certificate

2. Annual Operating Costs for Heating
    3. Annual Operating Costs for Cooling
    for each of the heat pump proposals?

Determine your Life Cycle Cost based on 15 year equipment ( installation, maintenance and operating ) for Each proposal.

https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...EventID=629524
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I took you guys advice. None of the companies offered the manual J but I was referred to an individual that preformed them for 20 years and he is coming out tomorrow at 10am. It going to cost me $100 but considering how many people I see saying to do it I think it's well worth it.

Thanks for the advice guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12