Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Help on deciding best option of 3 brands with lots of model #'s I don't understand

Hi guys, man how happy am that I found an active community to help out with some deciding. Thanks thanks thanks!

I replacing a 15 year old lennox system that crapped out on me last summer. I have limped through till now with firewood and such but it's just getting too cold for me now. I'm in Chattanooga, TN.

I've had 3 guys out and got 3 different options at hand. I'll list them in ascending price from lowest to highest. I think that's how you fellas like to do it. All the following systems are 3.5 tons. I'm having a hard time nailing down that the 3.5 is what I need because I live in an A-frame. but here is what they are giving me.

Carrier
    25HBC542A003 Carrier 15 SEER condenser
    FX4DNF043L00
    CE0901N10 10 kw Heater Bank
    (also includes one year PM contract, and microbial flush)

Lennox
    14hpx-42-230
    Cbx25uhv-42230
    15.5 SEER AHRI #7044785

Trane
    4TWR4042 Heatpump
    TEM4A0C42 Air Handler

Post Likes
    Nice that the Lennox Contractor gave you the AHRI number, as it tells you the EER and HSPF along with the SEER and BTU rating. I would tell the other contractors who are offering the Carrier and Trane to do the same as it will keep them on their toes and make sure the system they are quoting is a matched system, plus you can compare all the mentioned ratings of each.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridi...ages/home.aspx

Go to Residential Heat Pumps then enter the AHRI 7 digit number in the top left corner under AHRI certified reference number.

What are the labor warranties they are offering the basic one year or longer? If it's longer who is backing the labor warranty, the manufacture or the Installing Contractor.

Very important that they register your system and give you a copy, as if it's not registered, your manufacture warranty usually gets cut in half.

Anyone here for the most part will tell you they should have done a load calculation and showed it to you ( justifying them picking 3.5 ton ) and the install is the key. Typically a heater should be sized to carry the load of the house when the Heat Pump fails and is down for repairs for who knows for how long.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Okay. I know these guys are giving me the run around saying that I won't be able to get an accurate reading due to all the ambient space. The fact that all 3 (basically the top guys in Chattanooga) are all telling me the same.

The labor warranties are all 1 year, with the first (Carrier) option having the option to extend 9 years for an additional cost.

Post Likes
    Price not allowed, but you should ask who is backing the extended labor warranty of additional 9 years. If it's the Installing Contractor and they go out of business you'll have no labor warranty plus you'll be out of the money if they ask for it upfront. If it's backed by Carrier then your OK.

Post Likes
    Gotcha, I corrected the price thing. Sorry about that.

I'm asking the estimators for the AHRI numbers for the other systems. Does it seem that they are pretty much comparing apples to apples here? I'm quite confident that the installations would be on par... maybe only slightly less so with the Trane system. They have good reviews but the company is much bigger than the other two.

Post Likes
    I'll step aside and let others here tell you if they are comparing apples to apples (model wise ) as for me this is a homework question for me. In some regards getting the AHRI number of the other two brands and comparing the SEER, EER, HSPF, and overall BTU rating would be one indication.

Post Likes
    No worries, I very much appreciate what you've done. I had the Carrier guy send the AHRI and the number does't seem to be registering. #7914933 hmmm

Post Likes
    What is puzzling is that they seemingly cannot do a heat loss due to "ambient space." A-frame structure is basically a lot of roof with some walls, windows and doors. Easy enough to figure out.....

So, are they just looking at what was installed by the guy 15 years ago and doing a like for like?

9. Likes Thefrisbee liked this post
    Post Likes
    Basically yes, That's concerning to me too. Do you think once I say, yes I'd like to use you guys that I could convince them that we need to do a proper test? They are saying exactly as you did that it's best to just put back what was there.

Post Likes
    Also make sure the labor warranty is carried by the manufacturer and NOT by a third party insurance company. Lots of companies are letting a third part insurance/warranty company carry their extended coverage which has been a horrible experience in the past.....never buy third party coverage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefrisbee View Post
    No worries, I very much appreciate what you've done. I had the Carrier guy send the AHRI and the number does't seem to be registering. #7914933 hmmm
    Yes that is a bogus number, tell them to give you a good number that states the system they propose is a energy star rated matching number. Tell them you went to the web-site under Residential Heat Pumps and it did not show. Keeps them on their toes when they see the customer is somewhat knowledgeable in HVAC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Yes that is a bogus number, tell them to give you a good number that states the system they propose is a energy star rated matching number. Tell them you went to the web-site under Residential Heat Pumps and it did not show. Keeps them on their toes when they see the customer is somewhat knowledgeable in HVAC.
    this is what he sent me. Do i still need to ask for another number? I looks pretty good but I see what you are saying when I put it in the website nothing is showing up.

AHRICertificate (2).pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefrisbee View Post
    this is what he sent me. Do i still need to ask for another number? I looks pretty good but I see what you are saying when I put it in the website nothing is showing up.

AHRICertificate (2).pdf
    Looks legit, at least you can compare two of the three unit performance. I do not know why it's not listed thou. You can ask them why it does not show on AHRI current web-site.

The number you listed in the model number is 003 where as they list it as *030.

Also there is a astrick in the model number

* Ratings followed by an asterisk (*) indicate a voluntary rerate of previously published data, unless accompanied with a WAS, which indicates an involuntary rerate.

Do not know what that means, but seen it many times in other model numbers.

You can try going to "Verify Certificate " at the bottom of this certificate to see what it says
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 01-11-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast