Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_in_PA View Post
    Here are my thoughts as a homeowner living very close to to you with a similar climate. Four years ago I replaced an aging single stage 3-ton system with a 3-ton two stage Carrier Infinity system. My electric bill has gone down significantly, and the home is more comfortable than before. Most of the time the system runs in the low stage, even if it is over 90 degrees outside. Running in that low stage, the cycles are longer which results in better humidity control. That lower humidity is what makes the home feel more comfortable at the same temperature.
    and, as i said... it's all about comfort with staging
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doydoy View Post
    No, we are not replacing our furnace. We have steam, radiator heat. The quotes included a variable speed air handler. Can anyone just tell me if a 2 stage is silly for our size home and area of the country (Northeast New Jersey)? I see a lot of them installed in VERY high humidity areas like Florida or Georgia.
    I'll toss this out there for the Pros to comment on: Being that this is an older, two-story home without duct work, wouldn't you be better off with a split ductless system?

Post Likes
    Only if we had big bucks; they are very expensive not to mention REALLY ugly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_in_PA View Post
    I'll toss this out there for the Pros to comment on: Being that this is an older, two-story home without duct work, wouldn't you be better off with a split ductless system?
    Or gravity registers. They work really well at very low cost.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

5. Likes ColeMaude liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12