Interesting boiler Install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting boiler Install

Went out on a no heat call on a boiler last week and found the most amazing thing on the return line from the basement circuit.

Yes that is a Pressure Reducing valve on a curcuit return line. And that wasn't the only problem, the bladder in the extrol tank was shot and full of water. The only way to feed water to the boiler was to do it manually. And all the piping where the extrol tank was done with some sort of thread locking compound which was almost impossible to break. Ended up having to cut some of the pipe to get the old tank out, and then repipe it for the new tank.

Couple of the finished pics

Last edited by MichaelPaladin; 01-21-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Why so much

Why so much joint compound ?

It seems your not up to date with local codes yourself. the backflo preventer should be piped awey & you neglected to install a check valve... try to keep up...

Just snapped a few quick pics, before things got wiped down.
    When you do a job, Always make it easier for the next guy, because you may be the next guy working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactechdan View Post
    It seems your not up to date with local codes yourself. the backflo preventer should be piped awey & you neglected to install a check valve... try to keep up...
    Backflow was piped away, it was added after the pic.

And I've not heard anything on local codes on check valves. Point me to an example and I'll be happy to read it and potentially learn something new.

check valves

I seems that state (all states) inspectors are trying to validate their jobs by doing inspections & condeming systems that have backflo preventers but no check valves, witch they believe is not enough protection to the domestic water system, I think it's B/S but you can't fight city hall.
    But actually... we can charge for this work (if it's not a new installation)
    Check with your local dip s*#t inspector.

Hmm

I have seen a regulators used a flow controls on the dump or bypass zone. This is typically on multizone valve systems.

Around theses part the backflow preventer can not be installed higher than 5 foot above the floor. No lower than 3 foot either.
    Mike

Im not used to seeing black iron used all the way up through that air seperator. also when im doing boiler piping ill put the back flow preventer in then the feedwater reg valve after that...never used another check valve before the preventer.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

I went on a call about 2 months ago. After replacing the ignition control I was walking around the house looking for registers and I noticed someone had taken out the copper in certain spots and replaced it with CPVC. WTF??? Homeowner said it was a handyman's special. Gave a quote to drain system, replace CPVC, and start system. Never got a call back. Hmmmm??

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactechdan View Post
    I seems that state (all states) inspectors are trying to validate their jobs by doing inspections & condeming systems that have backflo preventers but no check valves, witch they believe is not enough protection to the domestic water system, I think it's B/S but you can't fight city hall.
    But actually... we can charge for this work (if it's not a new installation)
    Check with your local dip s*#t inspector.
    Problem is each trade inspector does not know what is required by the other inspectors. Our Boiler inspector wants a check valve, but it is the plumbing code that dictates what type of protection is required.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

It is odd to me that people are still using those antiquated air scoops. Have you tried the supervent or spirolvent? I know their spendy however, they actually remove air unlike that boat anchor.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Did a little check, this area has no code on check valves.

As for the Black Iron, only used 3 - 5" nipples, one 6" nipple and a union the the rest was already inplace.

In most applications that I run into those Amtrol scoops work quite well.

And one other thing I found on that one, the bolts on the suction side of the circulator were loose and sucking air into the system. I did add a new gasket and made sure all the bolts were tight.

Install instructions on air scoops call for a min. of 18" of straight pipe leading into them to work properly.

Spirovents, on the other hand,need no minimum.

I know you have to work with what you`ve got but it won`t hurt to know this for future reference.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast