+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geo freezing n heat

Post Likes

Geo freezing n heat

New customer, first time there, fhp water to air, unit is 5 years old, I was out last week pump station frozen over, initial thoughts under sized loop, after talking to customer no problems in AC maintains temp normal bills

Found static at 52 psi ran the unit in heat for a while suction 110 psi, 275head, ewt 48 5 psi drop, after about 10 -15 mins run time loop at 102 psi entering suction 95 psi, ewt 36 degree, checked TXV and bulb responsive to temp change, need to check how much freeze protection is available

Any help suggestions are welcomed and thanks

Post Likes
    If you have a 5psi pressure drop through the coax it sounds like your pushing a lot of water through the system. I would suggest looking at the manufacturers information to figure out your gpm. If the water is moving to fast it doesn't have enough time to absorb the heat out of the water. Does it have freeze protection Methanol or Glycol?

Post Likes
    Found a ground loop leaking pretty bad, after shutting off auto fill set at 15 psi, loop was at 0 psi a week later, no anti-freeze either, now the question is do you convert to a non-pressurized system add anti-freeze and loop conditioner or go with a heat pump? Geo is 5 years old

Post Likes
    as long as it is pumped, it is pressurized and will leak. Best to dig it up and at least isolate the leaking loop, but my bet is going to be leaking at the manifold.

When the HX in the HP eventually freezes up, which it will without anti-freeze, it will cause a refrigerant/ water nightmare. Find a guy who does the ground loop side (excavation) of these and get him involved.

Post Likes
    It is common to see the ground loop pipes exterior to freeze if the leaving water temp is below freezing. No antifreeze will destroy the heat exchanger in short order. Some units have freeze protection. Verify its set up. Going to have to repair or isolate the leaking loop. No other way around it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in