Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day Old Furnace

Quote Originally Posted by Sutree View Post
    My current furnace is 50,000 BTUs and 60% efficiency. It is adequate for heating the home (approx. 1,100 sq.ft). The one he is proposing is 70,000 and 80% efficiency. The upside he proposed was quietness and long term savings, but the calculation he gave me was based off a brochure, not off an inspection of the home.

G61 furnace is 94% efficiency

replacing an old 50,000 btu with a 94% efficient 70,000 btu would give you a unit that is oversized.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Trust is a funny thing.

Homeowners must have some trust to call the contractor in the first place,but then???

Hoemowners recommend contractors that they trust,but were they wrong to trust them,how do they really know who is the best(if that exists) or at least a good/great contractor,seems they find out once it's too late ,in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by im4snow2000 View Post
    Did he say why it was removed?

If you can get a warranty same as new, in writing, I don't see the downside.
    I agree.

I would always get load calcs done before selecting a unit. If the unit is not sized correctly, the few bucks saved at the begining are lost in the monthly bills. Get the right size unit, because you'll be stuck with it for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    G61 furnace is 94% efficiency

replacing an old 50,000 btu with a 94% efficient 70,000 btu would give you a unit that is oversized.
    Not to mention that this 90+ furnace will require a completely different venting system. How much will that cost? This furnace is a condensing furnace. Are there any issues with disposing of the condensation during operation? Is there an existing gas water heater that is common vented with the existing furnace? Will the vent be properly sized for the orphaned water heater?

This is a very nice furnace, but as stated, it would be oversized based on the size of the furnace being replaced. A load study would determine if it is a correct fit.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Pro View Post
    Not to mention that this 90+ furnace will require a completely different venting system. How much will that cost? This furnace is a condensing furnace. Are there any issues with disposing of the condensation during operation? Is there an existing gas water heater that is common vented with the existing furnace? Will the vent be properly sized for the orphaned water heater?

This is a very nice furnace, but as stated, it would be oversized based on the size of the furnace being replaced. A load study would determine if it is a correct fit.
    I am very confused. He said it was 80%, but I don't see efficiency in the literature. I need to go back and ask.

I am not sure what a condensing furnace is, but I do have a water heater right next to the existing furnace. He said no change in ductwork was required. I asked a lot of questions about ductwork, etc., and he said, No change was needed, but whatever is required, we will do.

double check the model #.

G60 = 2 stage 80% afue
    G61 = 2 stage 94% afue

I'm sorry, it was a G60V.

It seems the consensus is that it is safe to go with the "used" furnace. The only question seems to be whether it is oversized for my application.

Another contractor suggested a Trane TUD 60,000 BTU, 2-stage 80% efficiency.

Other contractor suggested a Carrier 1-stage 58DLA, 45,000 BTU 80% efficiency. He also quoted a 2-stage for slightly more money; 58CTA, 45,000 BTU 80% efficiency. The cost difference is neglible. My only concern is that this will be undersized, but he seemed to think that this would do just fine.

I guess my problem is that I don't know how to determine what my needs are. One person says my needs are modest; another person seems to say I need more.

G60V is a very nice 80% 2 stage furnace with variable speed blower. A manual J load study is the only way of knowing what size furnace you need. If you're comfortable enough click on the HVAC Calc link at the top of the page and purchase the homeowner version of the program and do it yourself. Here's the link to the G60V in case you haven't found it yet. Good luck! http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=G60V
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Does/did your curretn furnace, cycle on and off, when you were at your colest winter temps.

If so, then the 45,000 BTU furnaces will work for your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

since it is a G60uhv-070 the actual input btus on high fire are 66,000 with 54,000 output.

on low fire it is 45,000 input with 36,000 output.

does not sound like it would really be oversized, it may just not go into high fire very much.

if the guy is giving you a good deal and full warranty it sounds good.

G60V is a nice quiet furnace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12