Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day Old Furnace

Day Old Furnace

A contractor is offering to provide me with a discount if I buy a previously installed furnace. Previous furnace was installed for a day and then removed.

What questions should I ask to determine whether this is worthwhile? Or would going this route be a mistake? Should I go with a brand new furnace?

Furnace is variable, 2 stage Lennox, G61.

Thanks for any insight.

Did he say why it was removed?

If you can get a warranty same as new, in writing, I don't see the downside.

I see no problem, your warranty starts on the day of install and if it's a few bucks
    cheaper go for it, I would personally just look over it physically.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

No, we didn't get that far into the discussion, but I wanted to be prepared with questions. I will ask to look it over. Are there any mechanical things I need to ask about? Issues with new fittings?

Thanks again for the replies.

Edit, he said the tech doing the install didn't notice that it was the wrong furnace for the customer, so they had to pull it out after the discovery. I found that to be kind of odd.
    Last edited by Sutree; 01-20-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail

Is it the right size for your house.

Just because its 2 stage, doesn't mean it can be oversized and save you any money.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutree View Post
    Edit, he said the tech doing the install didn't notice that it was the wrong furnace for the customer, so they had to pull it out after the discovery. I found that to be kind of odd.

No not hard to believe, this does happen, we don't like it but sometimes the supply
    house gives us the wrong one and we just forget to check.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

My current furnace is 50,000 BTUs and 60% efficiency. It is adequate for heating the home (approx. 1,100 sq.ft). The one he is proposing is 70,000 and 80% efficiency. The upside he proposed was quietness and long term savings, but the calculation he gave me was based off a brochure, not off an inspection of the home.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Is it the right size for your house.

Just because its 2 stage, doesn't mean it can be oversized and save you any money.

Well, that would mean he is just trying to pawn this off on her, and if that was the case he
    would need to be dropped like a lead balloon, but if this is all on the up and up and she can
    save a few bucks, I would personally go for it. If trust is an issue well my advise is find
    someone else to give you a bid, I gather trust isn't an issue here, but who knows.

Your old units AFUE may be 60%, but uts SSE(steady state efficiency) is probay 78 or 80%.

Doubtfull your duct system is sized big enough to handle the extra air the new unit will need to move.

You'll see little if any savings with it in first stage all the time.

If your getting it for less then a new 50,000BTU 80%, you might break even.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I would personally go for it. If trust is an issue well my advise is find
    someone else to give you a bid, I gather trust isn't an issue here, but who knows.
    Bet at least 50% of the poeple that post about install, and sizing problems, trusted the salsman/company.
    Contractor locator map

Your old units AFUE may be 60%, but uts SSE(steady state efficiency) is probay 78 or 80%.

Doubtfull your duct system is sized big enough to handle the extra air the new unit will need to move.

I'm sure she or he understood all of this, this is why we try and hire contractors
    we trust that they know what there doing.

Beyond thermal efficiency, are there supposed to be more savings due to more efficient, variable blower?

The VS blower will save on the electric bill, if the duct work isn't undersized.

Good chance 70,000 BTU furnace will never go to second stage, except for recovery, if you set your stat back at night, and or when you go to work.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast