Damper adjustments?

Hello,
    I was hoping someone could help me out or point me in the right direction regarding our gas furnance and ewc control dampers.

We have a rheem classic plus (only 3 years old) with 2 zones. Their are EWC controls MAND4 MAND3 on the duct work.

Overal, our heating of the zones and rooms are fine, but we have 1 room that is always cold, it is about 3-5 degrees off. Does anyone know if this is caused by the dampers not working correctly or maybe another problem?

How can I adjust the dampers? Or should I be contacting a technician to take a look at it?

thanks for any help

It would be very hard for us to diagnose setting at a computer. The best thing to do is call a reputable contractor that can solve your issue.

If there are other rooms on the zone with the room that doesn't heat right.
    Doubtfull its the dampers.

Have it checked by a tech.
    May need a larger duct to that room.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

like beenthere said "might need a bigger duct", or it might another run to the room. has it always been like that? need more input.

Thank you for your responses.

Since we moved into the house, that room has always been cold. We talked to our contractor and he told us it was the dampers. So he came out to check it out, and the problem never went away. Our warranty on the house is up, so he informs us to seek a HVAC technician?

The room that is always cold is on the second floor with all the bedrooms, every bedroom is right at temp. There is another bedroom that is colder as well, but not nearly as cold as the problem room. The second floor is on a seperate zone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddave23 View Post
    Thank you for your responses.

Since we moved into the house, that room has always been cold. We talked to our contractor and he told us it was the dampers. So he came out to check it out, and the problem never went away. Our warranty on the house is up, so he informs us to seek a HVAC technician?

The room that is always cold is on the second floor with all the bedrooms, every bedroom is right at temp. There is another bedroom that is colder as well, but not nearly as cold as the problem room. The second floor is on a seperate zone.

Thanks
    Are these floor or ceiling diffusers? How is the heat on the first floor? Are the cold rooms over a un-heated garage Did the builder check the insulation in the attic and floors in that area.

A good technician will do an air balance for you. For example: say your system is capable of delivering 1000 CFM of air. Say one room is 500 sq. ft. one room is 100 sq ft and 2 rooms are 200 sq. ft. In theroy then one room should get 500 cfm of air on room should get 100 cfm of air and 2 rooms should be getting 200 cfm each.

This is over simplifed example of course but basically this is how air balancing in done. A properly designed duct system will have manual dampers so that the balancer can fine tune air delivery to each diffuser. You need a guy with a velometer and other test equipment. Not a guy with a hammer and a saw.

It could be several different things.
    Since the other rooms in that zone are ok, the problem is most likely not the dampers.
    You could have a duct that is crushed, loose, has a hole in it. A manual damper on that duct run that is closed.
    It could be the longest run on the system and the ductwork friction has reduced the air volume too low to that supply register (in this case a larger duct or a dedicated duct run could fix the problem.)
    I could think of several more design or implementation issues that could create the same symptom.

From here it looks like a nest of gremlins have taken up residence in that duct.Yep that's the ticket, it's gremlins. Put a skunk in the duct to eat the gremlins, problem solved.

Perhaps an HVAC tech who visited your house could find the real problem instead of my mythical gremlins.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

the registers are on the floors, and the downstairs zone is working fine. The attic is on teh 3rd floor over the bedrooms, and it is insulated on the floor only. But the other rooms are OK.

Thanks for everyones help, I thought it may be something small that a DIY can do, as this is my youngest daughters room. Maybe a call to a HVAC company would be the best option.

Thanks again