Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    Most likely the dust has nothing to do with the HVAC, people assume that their equipment is a big vacuum and they don't have to dust, but at the most the HVAC equipment is just a carrier, it comes from somewhere else and because the system moves air, it disturbs the dust and it floats around(so of course it is coming from the system. I would bet 99% of the dust in the house hasn't even made it to the ductwork. Most comes in the windows, doors, through cracks in the house, out of the carpet, wherever, but not much comes from the duct system, especially since you have cleaned it multiple times.
    I am sure that is not the duct work! the problem is that this house has hard wood floors, very tight windows with no construction near by. Im at a loss here. I don't know what to do for the HO or tell him what to do about or were the dust is or coming from.

does the local utility company offer blower door testing? Would be able to find areas of infiltration into the home.
    You can't fix stupid

Does home have an air to air exchanger? If so is it common ducted?

Turn the EAC off for a week, and see if it gets better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Turn the EAC off for a week, and see if it gets better.
    Traditionally EAC operate at 6K to 8K vdc, they can produce a white ionized powder. The Perfect Air operates at 22K vdc, and can have the same effect in a home with no carpet. Usually ionized dust particles get lost in the carpet and such, and the Perfect Air does a good job at trapping it. Only one way to tell, as BT suggested turn it off for a couple of weeks and see if the situation improves.

Somebody should call PETA, as the horse is dead and yet we keep beating it......but......are you sure the air cleaner is sealed to the casing of the furnace?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

I have a cust with the am stand accuclean that complians about the same thing. Could the collection cells in these not be charged and the particals are being zapped and not collected? I always wanted to install a light duty 1" filter after the EAC's and see if the white dust from hell is reduced.

Do they have recessed lights?
    Are the supply boxes mastic sealed to the sheetrock with no
    gaps between the box and the sheetrock?

Testing with blower doors and duct blasters will show house leakage sites and duct leakage sites.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by hvac r us 2 View Post
    Traditionally EAC operate at 6K to 8K vdc, they can produce a white ionized powder. The Perfect Air operates at 22K vdc, and can have the same effect in a home with no carpet. Usually ionized dust particles get lost in the carpet and such, and the Perfect Air does a good job at trapping it. Only one way to tell, as BT suggested turn it off for a couple of weeks and see if the situation improves.

Somebody should call PETA, as the horse is dead and yet we keep beating it......but......are you sure the air cleaner is sealed to the casing of the furnace?
    Im shure the cleaner is sealed to the unit

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    Do they have recessed lights?
    Are the supply boxes mastic sealed to the sheetrock with no
    gaps between the box and the sheetrock?

Testing with blower doors and duct blasters will show house leakage sites and duct leakage sites.
    They do have recessed lights and i wonder if the Insulation from the attic is coming thru the can lights

You got it. Recessed lights and insulation cause most of these visible dust problems. Seal around the recessed lights.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    You got it. Recessed lights and insulation cause most of these visible dust problems. Seal around the recessed lights.
    hey I also seen thaT THE CROWN MOLDING is cracking that too maybe letting it thru

You are just guessing without the blower door test to find the actual source of the infiltration. But recessed lights are always a good place to start - especially if the homeowner has cellulose insulation.

I always look for recessed lights when I hear a 'dust' complaint.
    Start there and at ductwork and return air..recessed lights
    all standard on a walk thru inspection.

the ceiling moldings in a lot of older homes hide the fact that there is a gap between the wall and ceiling. in new construction taping this joint is done regardless of install or not of ceiling moldings...well most of the time it is done. I have seen homes with triple crown moldings that grew mold on the moldings because of the attic air meeting the molding on one side, and the condioned air meeting the molding the house side. Condensation..mold.

Every house is different, but there are common leakage area in homes of similar construction.

test it, seal it.
    too many houses work against the hvac, and visa versa.

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast