Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hmm White Dust in a house

I have a house that I have a high eff. filter and the home owner still complanes about this white gritty dust (not sheet rock) all over the house. Any ideas would be nice. Thanks

Do you have a humidifier?

Is this a new home?

Is there a meth lab in the basement?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

No humidifer and there is no dust in the duct work either. It seams to just appear. they dust 2 times a week and it still write your name in the dustafter 2 days.

hvac r us 2 that is funny you asked i was telling me wife about this tonight and she asked me the same thing about the meth lab.LOL This is a new house about 2.5 years old and we had the ducts cleaned about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac r us 2 View Post
    Is this a new home?

Is there a meth lab in the basement?
    Hey IM a rookie at this but Im learning

Quote Originally Posted by ndshvac View Post
    hvac r us 2 that is funny you asked i was telling me wife about this tonight and she asked me the same thing about the meth lab.LOL This is a new house about 2.5 years old and we had the ducts cleaned about a year ago.
    LOL I know it seemed like a joke but this actually happened to me on a service call one time! LOL

I know you said filter, but no EAC?

LOL I know it seemed like a joke but this actually happened to me on a service call one time! LOL

I know you said filter, but no EAC?
    I installed a Bryant Perfict Air Purifier(PAP) with 4 20X20 filter grills on the duct work and they use at least a MERV 8 filter in the filter grills. The PAP is an EAC with a media high eff. filter

Is the furnace in the basement? On new construction the basement floor if never been washed is a mess. You can pull this dust right through the bottom of the furnace and around the air cleaner if it is not sealed to the furnace.

Is the furnace in the basement? On new construction the basement floor if never been washed is a mess. You can pull this dust right through the bottom of the furnace and around the air cleaner if it is not sealed to the furnace.
    The heat pump is installed in a crawl space with the duct work farly well sealed. I installed the pump and know what the duct work looks like. It is all sheet metal w/ flex runs and all the sheet metal is wraped w/ ins.

Quote Originally Posted by ndshvac View Post
    The heat pump is installed in a crawl space with the duct work farly well sealed. I installed the pump and know what the duct work looks like. It is all sheet metal w/ flex runs and all the sheet metal is wraped w/ ins.
    were the seams and takeoffs sealed with tape or mastic before wrapped?
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    were the seams and takeoffs sealed with tape or mastic before wrapped?
    Mastic before wrapped

Most likely the dust has nothing to do with the HVAC, people assume that their equipment is a big vacuum and they don't have to dust, but at the most the HVAC equipment is just a carrier, it comes from somewhere else and because the system moves air, it disturbs the dust and it floats around(so of course it is coming from the system. I would bet 99% of the dust in the house hasn't even made it to the ductwork. Most comes in the windows, doors, through cracks in the house, out of the carpet, wherever, but not much comes from the duct system, especially since you have cleaned it multiple times.
    You can't fix stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast