Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Does that thermostat control the number of cycles per hour? If so, how many cycles is it set for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladiesman271 View Post
    Does that thermostat control the number of cycles per hour? If so, how many cycles is it set for?
    Those settings are all default. First stage compressor set at 3 and aux heat set at 9. I don't know what these settings do, but according to the installation manual, these are factory preset.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun8 View Post
    Keep the stat no higher then 68 *F or lower at bed time and no higher then 70*F during the day, ck all the weather stripping for infiltration and hopefully you have proper insulation in the house for your area. Electric aux heat should only come on if the room temperature falls below the set point of the stat by 4*F

Your statement about the aux only coming on if room temp falls below the set point of the stat by more than 4 deg. is misleading. Mine cycles on and off when both the actual temp and the set temp are the same, but the HP alone cannot hold the set temp by itself. My neighbors systems also work the same as mine.

The VisionPro 8000 series uses adaptive intelligence recovery IF it is programmed that way in the set up. If it is, you can have whatever set points you want and it will not use aux heat when it is recovering the temp. It will use it though if you manually over ride the temp setting to more than 3 deg.

This I am aware of. I was only stating that his reference to the aux only coming on if the room temp is 4 or more deg. below set point should stipulate during recovery as opposed to a blanket statement.

With a heat pump that has electric heat as backup, should the thermostat connection be to the 'Aux' or 'E' terminal?

Not knowing where you live in texas (profile empty) its hard to say if last year was hotter/colder than this year.

Where I live (Dallas) it was colder this year in December than last.

Adam

Adam: Yes, I too live in the DFW area. I know it was a bit cooler than last year, but I suspect there is something wrong either with my new unit or the hookup of the thermostat. I have a professional coming to look at it this afternoon. Right now, the heat pump is not working at all and it is only using electric heat to keep the house at 69. I looked at the daily temperature readings compared with last year's bill. Although it was a little cooler, the difference is not that great. At least now great enough to justify the big change in billing.

I did not know it got cold enough in Texas to use aux heat unless there was a problem with the hp.
    Oh yes. I have a HP. The deal is that you will use aux heat when the temp is 3 degrees or more below the set point (you can change that). The other time it comes on is if the unit has been running for more than 20 mins...if it cannot heat the area within 20 mins, it will kick on the aux. If we get temps in the 40's, its not uncommon for mine to use aux heat.

$670 for one month. We have a 5ton geothermal unit in central IL and my bill is less than $200. You need to take a good look at how that vision pro 8000 is programed

Well, turns out the problem is not with the thermostat although it was not properly hooked up with the emergency / aux heat. Problem is the freon had leaked mostly out and HP was not running at all. The system had been using aux electric heat to heat the house for who knows how long. System has been charged until we can get a new unit installed, this time by a professionally licensed technician. I am paying a good bit of stupid tax by going with a 'friend of a friend'.

I have been struggling with this unit since it was installed six months ago. Horrid workmanship and improper setup were just a few of my headaches.

Now going with a new, warranteed, professionally installed Trane system. Should have done that to begin with.

Some things, have to be learned the hard way.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post
    Well, turns out the problem is not with the thermostat although it was not properly hooked up with the emergency / aux heat. Problem is the freon had leaked mostly out and HP was not running at all. The system had been using aux electric heat to heat the house for who knows how long. System has been charged until we can get a new unit installed, this time by a professionally licensed technician. I am paying a good bit of stupid tax by going with a 'friend of a friend'.

I have been struggling with this unit since it was installed six months ago. Horrid workmanship and improper setup were just a few of my headaches.

Now going with a new, warranteed, professionally installed Trane system. Should have done that to begin with.

Sorry to hear that. Hope that the info here was helpful for the future. IE get that outdoor sensor
    "It's always controls"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast