Electric Bill shock, researching Honeywell thermostats - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Did you have a HP last year or was it a gas furnace?

If a HP, did it have electric backup heat?

Did you setback the stat the same?

One third more of $600 is $200 so is your elect. bill now $800.
    System was very similar, but no programmable thermostat and less efficient HP. Up 'till today, we have never used setback. That is why I am trying to determine what the optimum setback is for this thermostat with a HP.

I live in S.Texas and used to work for the electric utility in and around Houston. There *can* be sizable variations in the number of days in your billing cycle. Also it might be useful to look up what the weather did this year and last, Texas winters are irregular and you just may have had bad luck with cold weather this year. Last and least, once in awhile the utility makes an error reading the meter. These are possible reasons for a high bill in addition to the backup electric resistance heat being on. Honestly I think it more likely there is an overuse of backup heat, if you can control that your bill should go down.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post
    I do have intelligent recovery set to on.

Thank you.
    For this feature to work it needs the outdoor temperature sensor. Something is not set up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    For this feature to work it needs the outdoor temperature sensor. Something is not set up correctly.
    Are you sure about that?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You also need the sensor to lock out the aux heat when it’s to warm and heat pump when it’s to cold. (In Texas that feature may not be used much.)

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Intelligent recovery uses the OAT to know how much run time is needed to reach the set point by the set time.

But you’re going to make me look in the manual again.

Intelligent recovery uses the OAT to know how much run time is needed to reach the set point by the set time.

But you’re going to make me look in the manual again.
    Yea.

Cause I never seen that in the manual.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yea.

Cause I never seen that in the manual.
    If 0340 “Remote Sensor” is set to 0 then 0530 “Adaptive Intelligent Recovery” defaults to 0 and should not be displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post
    Once again, thank you all for your responses. My bill this month was $670. Last year it was $470 with a less efficient unit. I don't believe the temperatures were that much colder this year than last. Funny thing is that the past four months (since new unit was installed) were pretty consistent. I will have to further investigate the daily temperature issue.

I do not have an outside temperature probe, but am thinking of adding one since the thermostat can use this feature.

Up until today, we have not used the programmable feature and just set the temperature at what we wanted. I did notice aux heat indicator was on quite a bit during the past month.

I did have the unit checked by a pro two months ago and he indicated everything was hooked up properly, but he did not check the thermostat settings.
    I did not know it got cold enough in Texas to use aux heat unless there was a problem with the hp.
    "It's always controls"

If 0340 “Remote Sensor” is set to 0 then 0530 “Adaptive Intelligent Recovery” defaults to 0 and should not be displayed.
    I stand corrected. With 0340 set to 0 0530 will display, but should also be set to 0.

I don't have that note on my sheet.

I just download another compy from Honeywell, and it doesn't say anything about needing the remote sensor for Adaptive recovery to work.

If you have it in PDF, can you email me your copy.

My email is in my profile.
    Contractor locator map

Well, I checked the temperatures and it was in the 20's about six more times than last year. That certainly didn't help. Meter readings were correct, and days billed were the same. I am going to add an outdoor temperature sensor and keep the indoor temp at 69. Hopefully things will return to a more tolerable utility bill.

Thanks again to all of you for your ideas.

play with the set back settings
    -- I do not know your comfort level/ tolerance --

[my bdrm is 57F when sleeping, office at 68F now as I type]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast