Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 44 of 44
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Hope that the info here was helpful for the future. IE get that outdoor sensor
    .
    You were all great and I truly appreciate your expertise and assistance. The outdoor sensor in on the way! Live and learn, but I sure hate to pay stupid tax on this level!

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post
    You were all great and I truly appreciate your expertise and assistance. The outdoor sensor in on the way! Live and learn, but I sure hate to pay stupid tax on this level!
    Yeah I would hate stupid tax as well. Why are you changing out the entire system. Would be a lot cheaper to have the installation repaired (probably replace the outdoor under warranty) then send the bill to the company who originally installed it, but only after you have given them a chance to make it right, there are always instance where a company hires a guy who interviews great but is really a hack on the inside. Good companies usually dont keep these around very long.

    MOST equipment is decent quality as long as the install is good.
    "It's always controls"

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    Yeah I would hate stupid tax as well. Why are you changing out the entire system. Would be a lot cheaper to have the installation repaired (probably replace the outdoor under warranty) then send the bill to the company who originally installed it, but only after you have given them a chance to make it right, there are always instance where a company hires a guy who interviews great but is really a hack on the inside. Good companies usually dont keep these around very long.

    MOST equipment is decent quality as long as the install is good.
    Well, it is a long story, but the basics are that this 'friend of a friend' who said he was licensed and gave me his license number turned out to be a total scam. License number is bogus and state licensing board has no record of him. He never gave me the promised receipt and I have nothing but a name and a phone number. So, I really can't prove much of anything.

    The outdoor unit has been repaired twice for freon leaks and still leaks. The air handler install could have been done better by blind monkeys. I got taken good. Who knows if the unit was new, B stock, stolen or what else. The repairs and freon charges have cost me $xxx and I am still dealing with system problems. The thermostat was not set up or hooked up properly. I was able to get much of it fixed, but the various and continuous leaks are costing too much money.

    The professional company I am now hiring now is also my neighbor, a stand up guy. He has helped me many times and fixed as many problems as he could. It has been a nightmare and I have nobody to blame but myself.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-21-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Removed price.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post
    Well, it is a long story, but the basics are that this 'friend of a friend' who said he was licensed and gave me his license number turned out to be a total scam. License number is bogus and state licensing board has no record of him. He never gave me the promised receipt and I have nothing but a name and a phone number. So, I really can't prove much of anything.

    The outdoor unit has been repaired twice for freon leaks and still leaks. The air handler install could have been done better by blind monkeys. I got taken good. Who knows if the unit was new, B stock, stolen or what else. The repairs and freon charges have cost me $xxx and I am still dealing with system problems. The thermostat was not set up or hooked up properly. I was able to get much of it fixed, but the various and continuous leaks are costing too much money.

    The professional company I am now hiring now is also my neighbor, a stand up guy. He has helped me many times and fixed as many problems as he could. It has been a nightmare and I have nobody to blame but myself.
    OK. Have your neighbor run the serial number at the local vendor. If the numbers are good then as long as he fixes the leaks and other install problems you may be ok. The biggest problem that I see is that the unit more than likely was not sized correctly. Make sure no matter which way you decide to go that you neighbor does a manual j for your house. It is the best and only proper way to size the unit for your house. Proper sizing is crucial to get the most heat for your dollar. I am sorry this hack took advantage of you as it makes those of us who do the best we can to be honest to our customers look bad, it makes the whole industry look bad. If you still decide to go with a new unit you can probably recoup some of your costs be selling your used equipment. Have your neighbor triple evacuate the unit and prepare it properly for storage. You should be able to get maybe 50% of the cost of the equipment back depending on its condition and warranty status. If you have the warranty cards save them they will need to be filled out to help the new owner get the warranty.
    "It's always controls"

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Again, thank you for the suggestions. As I said, the fault is mine for not properly checking out the original installer's credentials. It doesn't reflect on the professionals. It reflects on my stupidity trying to save a buck and relying on someone else's recommendation.

    The bad unit replaced a similar sized 5 ton heat pump. The original made by Trane had lasted 16 years. The 'new' one, made by Armstrong, never worked right.

    That unit heats and cools 3400 sq. feet. I know there is more to properly sizing a unit, but since it was designed that way by the builder, I presume it was correct from construction.

    I will see what we can do with the 'bad' units, both hp and air handler. We now suspect there is also a leak in the air handler. My neighbor had already fixed a leak in the main hp unit. I was not present during initial install and my wife indicated they dropped the air handler at some point. The frame on the air handler is so bent, you cannot properly put the side panels on and match up the screw holes. The rogue installer created new holes and taped over the openings. Funny thing is the outside hp also shows signs of being manhandled.

    I should have taken pictures of the original install...you guys would have gotten a good laugh.

    This equipment has cost me so much in money, headaches and aggravation that I am simply starting over.

    I travel for a living and I am tired of calls from my family telling me the house is too cold and the unit is not working.....again. What a nightmare. Thank God for my neighbor and his great desire to help me. Even he has been angry about the terrible work done. Sadly, he was not living here six months ago when I needed reliable service. Hopefully next week the new units will be in and I can begin to put this behind me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event