low temp setting

I have a Maytag furnace model PGC1RC high efficiency 92+ AFUE in my cabin located in northern Wisconsin. What is the lowest temperature setting we can safely set on this type of furnace? We have heard that 55 is lowest due to the condensing nature of the high efficiency furnaces but as we are interested in minimizing our fuel costs we would like to keep it set as low as possible.

Thank for your advise
    Jack

Would an answer to this ? be considered help to a DIY and against the rules?

He's talking about normal operation, not modifying or repairing the furnace, so no, I don't think it's against the rules. A valid operating question. I actually don't know the answer myself.

If it's set too low, the moisture in the exhaust gases could condense in the 1st heat exchanger... which is not good, can cause corrosion and premature HE failure. You only want condensation in the second condensing heat exhanger. It's stainless steel or aluminized to tolerate the moisture and mild acidity in the exhaust gases. The first HE basically operates like a 80% furnace. The second HE is what transfers the next 12% of energy from the exhaust.

You also need to consider the location of pipes near outside walls and how good your insulaton is. If you set the inside temp too low, you could get some frozen pipes. Especailly if it's older construction.

Have you chacked the owners manual?

Generally speaking most manufactures use minimum continuous return air temperature of 60 degree's or intermittent operation down to 55 degree's.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Check your owners manual, or the install manual.
    Some allow as low as 50, others want higher.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze126 View Post
    Would an answer to this ? be considered help to a DIY and against the rules?
    No.

What temp can a stat be set to, is not a DIY violation.

No different then when someone asks, what is the highest temp they should set their A/C to in the summer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

well than I know that a Tappan L1RC has a minimum RA temp of 60 Nordyne makes Tappan and Maytag same furnace different nameplate I believe

Does your stat have a vacation mode setting ? The infinity conrol has this setting where it will set the lowest temp allowed for the furnace to run properly, if you able to program your stat look to see if by chance it has a vacation setting if so then your good to go and all you need to do is set the stat for the next time you plan on returning and it will fire up the furnace right before you return and bring the ID temps up to your usual setting. I have never looked what it is for the Infinity but I wll check what my lowest setting is and post back, I believe it's around 55* or 60*

Low tem setting

Yes, the thermostat is a set back with vacation mode. It is a unit we purchased with the Sensaphone monitoring system. I don't know what the min-max settings are on this thermostat at this point as I'm not at the location. I do believe the minimum was 40 - 45 deg. I will have to verify this on our next visit. I have the vacation setting at 55 deg currently and it is holding steady. By the way the Sensaphone is worth every cent.
    I have read the User's Information Manual, the Technical Specifications and the Installation Instruction supplied by the manufacturer from cover to cover and there is nothing stated anywhere in the manuals regarding temperature settings. The manufacturer (Nordyne) was absolutely no help when I called and the rep was actually rude. My next call will be to his supervisor.
    I am satisfied in letting the furnace run at the 55 deg setting for the time being but with the cost of LP these days I'm very interested in conservation.

Thank you all for your responses.