Opinions wanted for humidifer for Carrier

We love our new 4 ton, 4 zone Carrier heat pump system but now that we have added a fireplace the humidity is way too low and we need to buy a standalone humidifier. 25% out of a suggested 45% tonight per the thermostat. What is a good brand/model and what is the best type of humidifier to add to our existing system? Should it be on the return or supply side of the indoor unit? I'm not necessarily bent on going with Carrier as we need to be cost effective though I'm quite happy with what we have from them so far.

I'm also very concerned about the mold and bacteria risk both in the room and the ductwork. How big of a health risk is this? We also just installed all new ductwork [custom and standard duct metal main runs and returns and flex supplies] and I hate to mess it up with mold or bacteria. I'm also concerned about condensation as a lot of the supply and return ductwork runs through the crawlspace which is not conditioned and can get quite cold [Asheville, NC] but I have not had problems with frozen pipes even when it got down to about 5 degrees last week. What are the real risks here for health and the ductwork?

Thanks for any and all suggestions and feedback!

Dave

If the fireplace is saving you more then 40 bucks a month on your heating bill, a steam humidifier.

If its saving less then 40 bucks. Then stop using the fireplace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A quite reasonable consideration. We did just get it mostly for backup in the event of a power outage or equipment failure. Not sure how to best calculate this though without previous bills to compare to. Not even sure what it is costing us now in fact...thanks!

If you do decide to get one, why not a carrier to match your system?

http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...iers/fan.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post

As I've said I'm not opposed to Carrier but have the other concerns and $ is only one of them and my main concern is introducing mold and bacteria into the ductwork. I know that historically humidifier units have been very problematic and there are finally some better units coming out like Honeywell has. Are either of the Carrier units steam? I did not see that in the specs. Thanks. Dave

Well my HVAC contractor says he pretty much only installs the Honeywell HM506-H9808 which is a lot better than most if no all other humidifiers, even on Carrier systems, so would appreciate any feedback on this system and my concerns about mold, mildew, bacteria in the ductwork if installing this particular steam humidifier as compared to just some room humidifiers. Thanks, Dave

I'll tell you how I got bite in the butt by a steam humidifier.
    The house is about 2800 sq ft.
    I installed a EWC Autoflow S2000, its a 16 gallon a day humidifier.
    They run their VS blower 24/7.
    When they run their wood stove when its 20 or lower outside, the humidifier can't maintain humidity.
    Just takes too much fresh air for the wood stove, for it to keep up, it runs 24/7 when they use their wood stove.

So, with a 9 gallon a day, I doubt you'll be able to maintain RH in your house ay colder outdoor temps.

I don't think you'll have to worry about mold in the duct work.
    Contractor locator map

Are you saying that the Honeywell HM506 will only put 9 gallons of water maximum per day into the air even if run 24x7? Thanks, Dave

The 506 is 6 gallons per day max, and the 509 is 9 gallons per day max, and the 512 is 12 gallons per day max.
    Contractor locator map

OK thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post

Both of the Performance Series Fan-Powered Humidifier and Performance Series Bypass Humidifier seem to indicate that they work with Infinity Control and have 18 gal/day capacities. What is the actual difference between the two for a layperson and what circumstances warrent one vs the other?

The fan powered model looks an awful lot like a rebadged Aprile Aire (I had one on my previous system), is that the case?

I am currently running 5 room humidifiers (4 warm and 1 cool) and still can barely reach 30% on the IC and frequently in the teens. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Tighten up your home.
    Minimize the air leakage.
    Contractor locator map