Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I got flagged down one time and asked to braze a unit in. I stopped to ask directions and he said: What do you do for a living? <g>

It looked like the guy was heating the rod and not the joint - although the valves were a little burnt too. I looked and said: How about a hundred? Afterwards the guy complained that it "looked so easy" when I did it - and used all their tools and materials doing it <g> but he paid.

I originally learned to solder by deduced experimentation after watching my father do it so badly. He had apparently seen the motions involved but didn't really 'get' how it worked. I was about 8-9 years old then. I think it took me about a secret half hour with a propane torch to make enough mistakes to 'get' how it must work. He was pissed off about me 'wasting' the copper fittings and propane but later laughingly told the story dozens and dozens of times over the years. <g> Damn; I miss the old man. He's been dead for years and I still sometimes reach for my phone to call him.

PHM
    -------

I did my time as an apprentice in a manufacturing environment ,,, brazing all day ,everyday. I back my joints when done. Amazing what difference practice & experience can have.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Is this job completed yet? Pictures?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doug1111 View Post
    Is this job completed yet? Pictures?
    No, but going back either tomorrow or the Wednesday. This cold snap has us hopping with no heat calls. I'll post pictures (for better or worse ).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    I'll post pictures (for better or worse ).
    Ahhh...comeon, keep the faith.....brother....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Ahhh...comeon, keep the faith.....brother....
    Well, since I promised, now I have to make my joints look factory - well, not York factory...

6. Likes VTP99, doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Well, since I promised, now I have to make my joints look factory - well, not York factory...
    LOL joints like new but only better. Call Snap yes got down to 73 degrees today will be up low 80s by Friday

8. Likes CircusEnvy liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have seen bad joints before... But that was horrifying!

I have used MAPP once, before I knew better, but not on a service valve...

When I'm brazing a joint people say it looks easy. Really, brazing is easy... It's all heat control!

CT

10. Likes doug1111 liked this post
    Post Likes
    omg i am speechless that has got to be $100 worth of brazing rod haha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The -Apprentice View Post
    omg i am speechless that has got to be $100 worth of brazing rod haha
    You do realize this thread is from 2016, right?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    They put the plastic too close to the service valve light off area. It's the manufacturers fault, whatever happened to the copper glue?
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123