GTI 6000 GDV - Questions

Hi,

I recently bought a house that the previous owner had this model DV fireplace installed. I don't have the manual and I'm having a hard time finding info online based only on make/model number. Couple questions?

- Does anyone know where I can get a parts/service manual for this fireplace?

- I need to replace the hi-temp gasket on the front glass. It's all cracked and 1/2 of it missing. Any idea where the best place to get this from? My local fireplace store says they don't carry it nor can order it.

- Based on some quick searching online, it seems like GTI might be similiar to Heat n Glo? Are they made by the same company?

Thanks.

Cool

Gas Technologies Inc. or GTI was an experiment by Heat&Glo back in the mid-90's but yes, you would contact HG technical support. That glass does need to be replaced even if it was intact. The new ones have a fiber rope gasket. Since this rope is thicker, you remove the rubber pads from the glass clips so the wing nuts will grab.

You can check to see if there is a FireSide Hearth and Home anywhere near you as they are owned distribution for HHT. Have them order the new glass then service the fireplace when the glass comes in.
    Hearthman

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Since this rope is thicker, you remove the rubber pads from the glass clips so the wing nuts will grab.

how does one find these little tid bits of info out.

we, our company, work on any brand of insert/fireplace and have had no mfr specific training.

I just did this exact glass change today and thought that there had to be some different way to secure the new glass. Removing the rubber pads was not something I thought was correct. I thought there were different fasteners.

Why doesn't the mfr offer the "updated" parts along with the parts you order(this does NOT only pertain to fp/inserts)?

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    how does one find these little tid bits of info out.

Shucks, that's why we keep Hearthman around here!

Hey Guys.

Thanks for the replies. I need a little more assistance though! The question is do I fix or replace this fireplace???

Details:
    A couple months ago, the fireplace started acting up -- it wouldn't turn on using the wall-mounted thermostat... but would still light if I manually turned the unit on. Well, as of last week, the fireplace stopped lighting at all. So, I had a local serviceman out to diagnose it this morning. Now, going into the service call, I had thought the thermocouple died... especially since the unit is ~18 years old and on it's original. Well, the serviceman did some testing and found that the gas valve was "sticking"... drawing too much current, and the thermopile couldn't support the load. His recommendation is to replace the gas valve, thermopile and front glass (due to the gasket being in bad shape). The blower is also rattling and should be replaced. He had to go back to the shop to give me an official quote, but he thinks it'll be ~ $1k to repair.

Further, before he came out and I was diagnosing... I noticed significant rust all over the sheet metal of the combustion chamber. So, before he came out today, I sanded down the rust and repainted the entire compartment with a high temp paint. It now looks great, though I'm still somewhat concerned on how rusted the back side of those same panels may be.

So, do you guys suggest repairing or replacing? He said my cheapest answer is to repair. I understand that, but also don't want to sink a ton of money into an 18 y.o. builders grade unit. Would it make more sense to replace (e.g. with something like a new Mendota DXV)... or stick with it and repair?

thanks!

Cool repair vs. replace?

First of all, a 6000 GDV was not a builder grade box of the time but an upscale box.

Second, it is 18yrs old so it should look a little tired, esp. when compared to new units.

Third-- we cannot DIY but I will try to provide some info for your tech to consider:
    This unit runs off a thermopile only--no TC. The voltage drop through the T'stat circuit can really add up causing operational problems. I recommend you tech remove the wsk pigtail and wire it directly to the rocket with new T&B Sta-Kon solderless connectors at the rocker. Remove the T'stat and replace with a high quality single pole wall switch. Make sure all connections solid with less than 1.0 Ohms through wsk circuit. Have him clean the pilot burner, esp. at its base, replace the pilot orifice spud, ensure the TP wire is not touching the chassis and is gooped with red RTV silicone. After scrubbing the inside of the firebox, it will need a very thorough vacuuming. Remove the burner tube, brush and vacuum it and burner orifice. Inspect air intake plenum with mirror and inspect vent collar. Seal vent with Mil-Pac prn. Replace glass as previously described. Wipe down all accessible areas with Spray Way glass cleaner and clean cotton. Inspect vent termination for obstructions/ damage. Remove the GFK-160a convection fan-brush and vacuum squirrel cages bilaterally and replace; test for vibration. Be sure rubber grommets are on all 4 corners of cast base with it attaches to magnetic plate and there are red rubber pads on this plate ( same as use on glass clips).

Once all put back together, I would first puff the rope gaskets with my chemical smoke puffer looking for leaks then puff all 8 corners. Then fire it up and test for CO and CO2 leaks and O2 dropping at floor. If firebox tests ok, I would probably hang on to it and run it til it dies. That price is only a small fraction of the cost for tear out/ reinstall of a new model.

HTH,
    Hearthman

S/P, glad you still lurk here, too.

That's a very short list of my routine service on such a unit. Sorry but the glass clip thing is insider info. That and school of hard knocks as I've serviced a few thousand HG fireplaces over 21 yrs.

Well Killjoy does report that the repairman found that the gas valve required an unusually large number of milliovolts to open --- concluding that the gas valve was sticking and should be replaced doesn't strike me as unreasonable. Nor does the other laundry list of repairs sound unreasonable.

I hear Hearthman suggesting that replacing the gas valve could be avoided. And if Hearthman were the repairman on the spot, I'd be inclined to let him go ahead.

But your repairman seems to be making reasonable suggestions. I think you have a choice between doing the repairs or replacing the fireplace. The repairs are likely to still be a lot cheaper than replacement, and you ought to get many additional years of service out of the equipment if you have it repaired.

So repair seems like the economical solution to me. But you might consider shopping around for new equipment and see if new designs appeal to you enough to make that choice worthwhile.