Thread: Pipe from drain port of the water heater

Post Likes

Pipe from drain port of the water heater

I bought my house on 2009 with the current water heater. It has a main outlet on the top, but a second smaller pipe was branched off of the drain port at the bottom. This pipe supplies the Jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom, and it has a separate shutoff valve. That looks odd to me and makes it difficult to replace the drain valve. Is there any code or advantage for Jacuzzi plumbing that the pipe should come from the bottom of a water heater? Can I rework it to branch off of the main outlet?

Name:  IMG_20161105_084218.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  143.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20161105_084157.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  126.3 KB

Post Likes
    It may not be for the jacuzzi (I hope it's not!)

More likely it is for a loop for a warm air water coil, or a instant on loop...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

3. Likes buttwheat, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    It may not be for the jacuzzi (I hope it's not!)

More likely it is for a loop for a warm air water coil, or a instant on loop...
    The house is forced air heating. The pipe is for the jacuzzi.

Post Likes
    Forced air heating can utilize a warm water coil for backup heat.

It used to be very common. If it goes to the jacuzzi, it may be to a closed loop to heat the jacuzzi... I honestly can't imagine what else a jacuzzi would have a low tank connection for.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Well, if it supplies water to the Jacuzzi, the Jacuzzi isn't getting much in the way of warm/hot water. Since the cold water opening has a dip tube that ends just a few inches above the drain port.

No reason or code a Jacuzzi has to be tapped of the drain port.

Post Likes
    Like said before-if your jacuzzi is working and that fill pipe actually comes from that location-you shouldn't be getting any hot water.

In your original post you said the drain valve would be difficult to replace? Looks easy from the pictures?
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Yikes!

I can't imagine, if someone piped in an open loop circuit with a strong pump, to the Jacuzzi using potable water supply, YUCK!
    Likely there would be a heat exchanger configured in a closed loop.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    As vstech said, it is likely to be for instant hot water at the farthest faucet. It lets water return to the bottom of the water heater as is cools down in the hot water pipe. Try closing that valve and wait several hours for the water in the pipe to cool. Then see open a hot water faucet and see how long it takes to get hot water there.
    There may be a connection to the hot water line at the Jacuzzi if that happens to be the farthest fixture but that pipe definitely does not provide hot water to the Jacuzzi.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    As others have mentioned....you can't get hot water FROM the bottom of a hot water heater. Hot water rises, and is available at the upper fittings, not at the bottom fitting....more than likely this is a hot water circulator circuit.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    When you first start up the Jacuzzi after it has been off for a day or so - does that bottom-connection copper pipe get hot or cold?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by chenzhong View Post
    I bought my house on 2009 with the current water heater. It has a main outlet on the top, but a second smaller pipe was branched off of the drain port at the bottom. This pipe supplies the Jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom, and it has a separate shutoff valve. That looks odd to me and makes it difficult to replace the drain valve. Is there any code or advantage for Jacuzzi plumbing that the pipe should come from the bottom of a water heater? Can I rework it to branch off of the main outlet?

Name:  IMG_20161105_084218.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  143.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20161105_084157.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  126.3 KB
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Hve someone look at the piping arrangement at the jacuzzi. Could be a gavity circulation to keep the hot water available at the Jacuzzi.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Hve someone look at the piping arrangement at the jacuzzi. Could be a gavity circulation to keep the hot water available at the Jacuzzi.
    This. Before circ pumps, it was common to use a gravity system to return hot water (warm) back to water heater drain. The correct way was to plumb as high as possible & then slope back to water heater. Worked pretty well. There’s a gate valve there (green handle), close it & see if you still have hot water at the Jacuzzi. If you do- it’s a circ return line.

I’m more concerned with that vent on top of water heater.

Post Likes
    So, yes, it is the return line. Have to be careful not drinking hot water from the tank.

The vent was fine last time I tested it when I flushed the tank.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in