compressor burn outs

compressor burn outs

hey guys quick question, With compressor burn outs, whats the proper way to go about it. obviosly new LL dryer,but do you put a suction line dryer as well as acid treatment, or either acid treatment or suction dryer. I was told either or, thought i would get your input.

In my opinion, it has a lot to do with overall system size, number of compressors on a circuit, tonnage of the compressor(s), etc., and it can really be a pain for the field mechanic because of the amount of time and money it takes to properly clean up a system. Most manufacturers recommend acid removal suction line f/d's being installed (assuming liquid f/d's already there). Suction shells can be difficult if not impossible to get into some systems. If this is the route you take: Pipe the suction shells in such a way that they don't become an oil trap, operate 24 hours at a time, oil sample and filter change until oil tests negative for acid, pull the suction cores (or remove the shell altogether), change the liquid cores one last time, and you should be good to go. Depending on the severity of the burnout, it makes cleanup a lot quicker to go ahead and change the oil at the same time as your drier changes.

On large tonnage where cost is prohibitive for enough shells to pipe in parallel to keep operation correct, you can just install oversized liquid filters w/ acid removal cores, change oil at oil samples every 24 hours, and take the suction strainer out of the compressor suction inlet and clean it at the same time.

Lots of different ways to clean up a burnout depending on the situation. These are just a couple of the ways that I've done it. Just use good common sense (and always use acid removal driers), and most of all, make sure it's clean and acid free before you get the final ticket signed! GOOD LUCK!

All the above.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here