My home has a finished basement that has a musty basement smell that I would like to eliminate or reduce. I have done quite a bit (see below) already but I am posting here because I am now considering using ventilation to treat the problem. Sorry in advance for the long post...
- Drywall hung on metal studs, carpet glued to cement with no pad, heat ducts from forced air furnace, but no return ducts
- History of water intrusion where the carpet has gotten wet about a foot away from the wall during heavy rains (please read my entire post before responding with alarming information about mold)
What has been done
- Drywall and insulation removed along 2 of the three drywalled outside walls (the only two walls where there was water intrusion). No evidence of mold on concrete or drywall.
- Whole house mold testing performed using the "dust method" by a reputable company and examined by their on-staff microbiologist. Also had a site inspection performed by two reputable mold remediation companies. Also had multiple blood tests performed on myself to look for immunoglobin responses that would indicate exposure to mold. All tests have come back negative.
- Removed all carpet that has gotten wet. Glue still remains on concrete floor and the carpet that has remained dry has not been removed
- French drain system being installed outside and repairs to leaking glass block windows being repaired inside to fix water intrusion issues.
By removing drywall and performing various tests I am fairly confident that I do not have a mold issue, but I am still left with an odor issue.
I have spoken with a number of contractors and have received a couple of recommendations to install an HRV (we live in Michigan) in the basement to provide fresh air ventilation. One recommendation was to install the HRV detached from the forced air furnace to cycle the air in the basement as often as possible (stale air return and fresh air input would be placed on opposite sides of the basement).
Has anyone had success with using an HRV to treat odor issues?
Let me know if you need more details...I could go on forever.