Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for advice when buying a new furnace

Sorry to bother, but looking to make some sense of all the furnaces out there to make a valued judgement on my next purchase.

It seems this is more a forum for pro's than just the regular residential homeowner looking for input or reviews on some of the new furnaces out there.

Perhaps you can advise where I might be able to post, or alternate web so I can make an informed decision, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've received some quotes for replacement for Keeprite,Goodman and Lennox with huge price difference and different parts and labour warranties. I'd like to be able to explain what I need and see if someone's feedback will help me to make a decision.

Thankyou in advance for your help. Sorry to have caused any inconvenience by posting here otherwise.

PS: I'm in the Hamilton Ontario Canada area.

Lennox is good stuff, Gooman sucks.
    I like Trane, call them up.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Ill probably get blasted for this but I love Lennox, Hate Goodman and have never heard of keeprite. That's just my personal opinion. If you need fact on reliability, you will need to go to Consumer reports.

A quality install is worth the money.

If it was my choice of picking the manufacture you show, it would be the Lennox
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Quote Originally Posted by clintkennon View Post
    Ill probably get blasted for this but I love Lennox, Hate Goodman and have never heard of keeprite. That's just my personal opinion. If you need fact on reliability, you will need to go to Consumer reports.
    Gooman hater
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

If you need fact on reliability, you will need to go to Consumer reports.
    CR doesn't have facts on reliability.

If they did, then Rheem and Ruud, won't have different ratings.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OP.

You are welcome to ask questions on your bids/estimates.

Just not price related questions.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Funny, I'm the opposite, and I have installed many of both. Guess those Complete Heat's still leave a bad taste in my mouth. However, like has been said MANY times on this site, I would rather have a "cheap" furnace installed by a competent company than the "best" furnace with a half @ssed installation.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    OP.

You are welcome to ask questions on your bids/estimates.

Just not price related questions.
    Thankyou everyone, I really appreciate your help.

I think I'll start asking for referrals from the two companies I've seemed to hone in on. They are both smaller ops and not the big box companies. Both have been very patient with me answering questions as a newbie and one even recommended the Eco-Audit liason they typically work with. Even that Eco guy I booked in was a really nice gent. I found the Big Boxer was like a Herb Tarleck type, somewhat over the top and spent a good 1/2 hour of my time telling me how bad other companies and their advertising were instead of spending it telling me how much more I'd benefit. When I asked what his best price was, he started deducting one time "New Yrs Discount", A "GST Discount" etc... - turned me right off.

I had that big boxer(not nameing names) quote me $xK for a furnace install with 10yr parts and labour. I figure for the $xk difference, I could almost afford to take a chance on a unit that was 5 years parts and labour for the Heil(Keeprite) IIS90, or Goodman(Amana) GMV95 or GMH95, or Armstrong AUX2 models . If I do my homework and ask for at least 3 customer referrals each I should be good.

No posting of prices either.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-17-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    CR doesn't have facts on reliability.

If they did, then Rheem and Ruud, won't have different ratings.
    You can look at this link and check the repair history. Witch to me would be a good idea of reliability.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...hTerm=furnaces

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    However, like has been said MANY times on this site, I would rather have a "cheap" furnace installed by a competent company than the "best" furnace with a half @ssed installation.
    But in reality, Trane and Lennox are tight with who they sell to. 95% of the contractors who sell and install that equipment will be reliable dealers. I know there is always and exception and you can get things off the internet and yada, yada.
    Gooman on the other hand............well anyone can go buy one of those and install it. So very often a hack with a station wagon full of flex duct and duct tape use Gooman.
    There are also very many reliable Gooman dealers as well. If you go that route that is when you really have to check out who is giving you such a great price.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Ask the companies for references then go look and talk to the customers.
    Mike

I am not a fan of lemonex (lennox) its hard to get parts if your not a dealer and if you call them to get parts they are jerks. But Trane to me is the best but what ever you decide I recommend multi stage and variable speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast