Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I am taking the apprenticeship test for the august class for 420 what questions should I be expecting? Do you know of any sample test I could take and review that are similar?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryan43 View Post
    I am taking the apprenticeship test for the august class for 420 what questions should I be expecting? Do you know of any sample test I could take and review that are similar?
    I don't know about 420s test. Here it is a basic general skills test (Math and stuff) an aptitude also there is a dexterity test.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Need to know algebra and fractions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Some people may not like what I'm going to say, but if you've basically limited yourself to Intellipaks or comparables and smaller units - are you really a Mechanical Equipment Service Journeyman? If you look at the language in the National Agreement, Service Journeymen are large tonnage HVAC Mechanics (absorbers, centrifugals, screws, boilers, etc.). Mechanical Equipment Servicemen are not supposed to repair large tonnage HVAC by themselves. Yes, Servicemen get a scaled down package according to the states' Schedule A. What should a Serviceman do to become a Service Journeyman? Get trained! Take all available training, especially large tonnage training. Keep in mind that a Serviceman may need to move companies to become a Service Journeyman.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Some people may not like what I'm going to say, but if you've basically limited yourself to Intellipaks or comparables and smaller units - are you really a Mechanical Equipment Service Journeyman? If you look at the language in the National Agreement, Service Journeymen are large tonnage HVAC Mechanics (absorbers, centrifugals, screws, boilers, etc.). Mechanical Equipment Servicemen are not supposed to repair large tonnage HVAC by themselves. Yes, Servicemen get a scaled down package according to the states' Schedule A. What should a Serviceman do to become a Service Journeyman? Get trained! Take all available training, especially large tonnage training. Keep in mind that a Serviceman may need to move companies to become a Service Journeyman.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    In my local we have "service journeyman" that only work on small tonnages, they make BTJ scale, some others "service journeyman" work on large tonnage and they make the very same BTJ scale plus 8% over at employer's will. MES are mostly young guys that came from non-union shops with small tonnage experience,their pay scale is way lower than BTJ and benefits are not as good either. Some shops will move MES to full rate (BTJ) after 3-5 years and good performance, some other shops will keep dangling the carrot, lying and deceiving the MES guys, seen a few go back to the other side. how can a MES gain large tonnage experience when the national agreement keeps him from working on such equipment? plus the large tonnage guys dont want MES around them.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Like I said, I don't believe your small tonnage Jm are Jm - according to a National Agreement. So paying "Commercial" guys $5 less an hour and the same Fringes as "Applied" guys is okay for costs?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Like I said, I don't believe your small tonnage Jm are Jm - according to a National Agreement. So paying "Commercial" guys $5 less an hour and the same Fringes as "Applied" guys is okay for costs?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Around here the national agreement isn't very popular to say the least, if there was vote to stay or leave the NA probably 95% of the members would vote to bail, we have our local agreement and that's all we need. From my prospective we are all union brothers and we should be making the same wages, if a guys come in from non-union give him a placement test and enroll him in the program according to his knowledge and experience, only two classifications should be allowed 1-apprentice 2-journeyman, that's the way every skilled trades union does it. We don't pay the welders based on pipe size, why would hvac service needs to be different?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

8. Likes fitzyfitta liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Around here the national agreement isn't very popular to say the least, if there was vote to stay or leave the NA probably 95% of the members would vote to bail, we have our local agreement and that's all we need. From my prospective we are all union brothers and we should be making the same wages, if a guys come in from non-union give him a placement test and enroll him in the program according to his knowledge and experience, only two classifications should be allowed 1-apprentice 2-journeyman, that's the way every skilled trades union does it. We don't pay the welders based on pipe size, why would hvac service needs to be different?
    You are very Construction minded. Service needs flexibility. Your membership has no say over the National Agreements. That is between the National/multi-jurisdictional contractors and the UA/MSCA. Agree to disagree.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    You are very Construction minded. Service needs flexibility. Your membership has no say over the National Agreements. That is between the National/multi-jurisdictional contractors and the UA/MSCA. Agree to disagree.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Not sure what you mean by "construction minded", totally understand the origins of the national agreement and if membership had a saying....we wouldn't be part of it, I know one neighboring UA local that does not recognize the NA. I dont think fitters or welders should be getting higher pay scale and better benefit package than HVAC service if any we should be making more and in many cases we do but not because the national agreement said so, we make more cause the contractors value what we do.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "construction minded", totally understand the origins of the national agreement and if membership had a saying....we wouldn't be part of it, I know one neighboring UA local that does not recognize the NA. I dont think fitters or welders should be getting higher pay scale and better benefit package than HVAC service if any we should be making more and in many cases we do but not because the national agreement said so, we make more cause the contractors value what we do.
    I know a Serviceman who works at Big Blue. He gets paid Service Journeyman wage, but gets Serviceman Fringes as per the Schedule A. His Card says "DVS Mechanical Equipment Serviceman".

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    I know a Serviceman who works at Big Blue. He gets paid Service Journeyman wage, but gets Serviceman Fringes as per the Schedule A. His Card says "DVS Mechanical Equipment Serviceman"

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    That blows, my pension plan is close to $10/hr, at $1.50/hr I would have to work till 150 years old.

Post Likes
    Out here, there's great disparity in wages. Plumbing "Journeymen" have 4 different scales. Construction Industrial, Construction Commercial I, Construction Commercial II, & Service under R/LC.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Out here, there's great disparity in wages. Plumbing "Journeymen" have 4 different scales. Construction Industrial, Construction Commercial I, Construction Commercial II, & Service under R/LC.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro
    Our local contract only has one package for all journeymen and the apprentices packages varies but gets better by the year, the confusion comes with the bogus national agreement where there aren't any set standards, the guys working under the NA don't contribute or participate in the local pension or annuity plans, our retirement age is 55 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12