Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14

    Heil high efficiency furnace intake pipe freeze-up

    We had a high efficiency Heil furnace installed a year ago. The last two days have been bitterly cold (below 0) and the furnace was not running correctly, shutting off before getting to temperature, etc. Checked the filters and then told to check the intake pipe outside. Found it to be partially closed off by ice. Again, this morning, same thing happened - cleared out the pipe and furnace again running fine. Any suggestions to avoid this problem altogether?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,959
    Solution is easy...pray for warmer weather

    Other than that...it's happening all over the midwest.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by thesub View Post
    We had a high efficiency Heil furnace installed a year ago. The last two days have been bitterly cold (below 0) and the furnace was not running correctly, shutting off before getting to temperature, etc. Checked the filters and then told to check the intake pipe outside. Found it to be partially closed off by ice. Again, this morning, same thing happened - cleared out the pipe and furnace again running fine. Any suggestions to avoid this problem altogether?
    Do you have two seperate pipes that go out side or do they join together in a pipe in side of a pipe vent kit????

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14
    Yes, there is one for the exhaust and one for the intake - intake pipe has T on the end of it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by thesub View Post
    Yes, there is one for the exhaust and one for the intake - intake pipe has T on the end of it.
    Personally i would install a CONCENTRIC VENT TERMINATION KIT.. It help's keep the intake warm so it might help with your freezing problem. Check out this website.

    http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-166.pdf

    Justin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast of Connecticut
    Posts
    4,582
    Make sure the pipe for the discharge is at least 1 foot above the intake. Look into the installers guide for how they are to be piped.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14
    Thanks Freezeking, we had the furnace professionally installed, but both pipes are side by side. Perhaps, we could put an elbow or something on the exhaust pipe and vent it the opposite way from the intake. Would this cause a problem in venting?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by thesub View Post
    Thanks Freezeking, we had the furnace professionally installed, but both pipes are side by side. Perhaps, we could put an elbow or something on the exhaust pipe and vent it the opposite way from the intake. Would this cause a problem in venting?
    dont think it should cause a problem where in mi u from?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    11,808
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl View Post
    Personally i would install a CONCENTRIC VENT TERMINATION KIT.. It help's keep the intake warm so it might help with your freezing problem. Check out this website.

    http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-166.pdf

    Justin
    A concentric vent kit would work well against horfrost under the OP's tempertures, but I would get the kit that his furnace manufacturer approves
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

    http://www.ductstrap.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14

    Smile

    Thanks again. Will have my husband look this all over when he gets back tonight. We are located in Midland, MI

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by thesub View Post
    Thanks again. Will have my husband look this all over when he gets back tonight. We are located in Midland, MI
    ok not to far have service guys just south of mt. pleasent if you need help

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    4,842
    Frosted intakes are counting for 75% of our calls right now. The problem will pass, it always does. Concentrics work sometimes but not always. We have found several ways around the problem, call your installer.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

    DEM


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Gold Coast of Connecticut
    Posts
    4,582
    Outlet must be a Minimum 8" away from the wall and inlet and outlet must be at least 18" apart. I promise you your unit is not properly installed. Also must be at least 12" above the highest anticipated.snow level. Luxaire wants the exhaust 12" above and I have NEVER had a freeze up in 3 years and thats the only brand I install. I think they have something.

    Minimum 18" apart figure 19 page 26.

    http://icpindexing.mqgroup.com/docum...4001105005.pdf
    __________________
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event