155 survive Hudson River emergency landing

bird strike stalled the engines just after take off and the pilot lined himself up going down the Hudson(former USAF F-4 fighter pilot)
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

i just heard about this. i bet those poor people were freezing their buts off.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

The Captain and Crew of this plane along with the New York Water Taxi, Circle Line Tours, FDNY & NYPD deserve a lot of thanks for there actions today in preventing a disaster. Several professionals and civilians pulled together without being told, they just did what they had to do at the time.

For those that don’t know the City less then a few 100 yards separated disaster!

CNNs aviation consultant reviewed the flight,and said that when a water ditching is planned,there are switches that shut all the dampers and inlets to the cabin area.then the flight crew is trained note to open the rear doors so the aircraft actually floats as it did.always a load of boat traffic on the Hudson assured the passengers that help was on the way bigtime....like in the first 5 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    CNNs aviation consultant reviewed the flight,and said that when a water ditching is planned,there are switches that shut all the dampers and inlets to the cabin area.then the flight crew is trained note to open the rear doors so the aircraft actually floats as it did.always a load of boat traffic on the Hudson assured the passengers that help was on the way bigtime....like in the first 5 minutes!
    It is a good thing that it wasn't in the summertime. A lot of pleasure boats are in the river in nice weather. At least up around the Albany area they are.
    The plane would have probalbly taken out a couple of boats if this happen in July.

That was crazy, if I was on the plane it would have been my last flight....ever.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

its all tankers below the Statue and most of the oil barges tranverse the East River over into Jersey.i heard that F-4 Phantom was like flying a BRICK ....this pilot was on top of it thats for sure.

I have a lot of respect for the people of his experience, caliber, and the responsibility he is given. His decision making in a very restricted time limit made a big difference in an accident becoming a possible disaster. Even thou it may sound stupid I always get a comfortable feeling when I board an aircraft and if I'm lucky I can get a glimpse that it's evident the aircrew have some miles on them if you know what I mean. I really don't want some young kids who barely got some hours past a flight simulator. Sort of like "Nindendo kids doing control work" type of thing. Lives involved.