+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fluke 116 or 87V

Post Likes
    Thanks guys, i came across a deal for a brand new Fluke 87V and that is why i was debating it. It is a NIB item for about $200. Does that change things at all?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    Thanks guys, i came across a deal for a brand new Fluke 87V and that is why i was debating it. It is a NIB item for about $200. Does that change things at all?
    What is NIB lol.

and for that price cant beat it.....
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    oops sorry NIB = New In Box.
    You may know but for others. . .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    I love my Fluke 87-V. Has everything I need and more. Plus it has a Lifetime Warranty.
    270WSM....just be aware that Fluke's limited lifetime warranty might not be what you assume a "lifetime warranty" to be. It's not based on YOUR lifetime, only the lifetime of the product line. See here:

http://us.fluke.com/usen/Service/Warranties/default.htm

"Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty: Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products manufactured after October 1996)"

Post Likes
    Well..........what are you waiting for nib 200 can't beat that

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    niether! none!

quit wasting good money on a company that fails to observe what HVAC-R service technicians really need to do the job.

since you only service gas units, then you should already know that the puke i mean fluke amp clamps suck on OHM readings.

why carry two meters when you can purchase one that does it all from somebody else???
    You always should carry a back up.... Working with electricity you always need to be able to check for voltage.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kah1010 View Post
    I haven't used the 116 at all, but I do own 87-V with i410 AC/DC clamp. Actually I still own my first generation 87 too, I do quite bit electronics troubleshooting, so wanted meter that does bit more.

I do love the meter and one really cannot go wrong with that, however it is bit big (with clamp) to carry around in a bag, however that large display is a big plus for "old" eyes. Anyway, for my needs it is a good buy (albeit bit expensive) ....

K
    i just picked my i410 amp clamp up the other day. when reading ac amps on my 179 it is kinda slow to show the amps... obviously the reading on the meter is millivolts....
    also it doesnt zero stays closer to 1 amp +- .5
    is yours the same way? the zero function doesnt really zero it out in ac..
    i just cant see how i could measure low amp draw on a component with this setup.

im kinda disappointed. my 902 does it quickly and this meter is supposed to be more accurate and is SLOW....
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    270WSM....just be aware that Fluke's limited lifetime warranty might not be what you assume a "lifetime warranty" to be. It's not based on YOUR lifetime, only the lifetime of the product line. See here:

http://us.fluke.com/usen/Service/Warranties/default.htm

"Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty: Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products manufactured after October 1996)"
    Well, 10 years is better than than standard 3.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    You always should carry a back up.... Working with electricity you always need to be able to check for voltage.....
    OH i have a back up lmao

i have three retired meters on the truck that worked perfectly fine, for a year. i retire a meter every year and buy a new one
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    i just picked my i410 amp clamp up the other day. when reading ac amps on my 179 it is kinda slow to show the amps... obviously the reading on the meter is millivolts....
    also it doesnt zero stays closer to 1 amp +- .5
    is yours the same way? the zero function doesnt really zero it out in ac..
    i just cant see how i could measure low amp draw on a component with this setup.

im kinda disappointed. my 902 does it quickly and this meter is supposed to be more accurate and is SLOW....
    Yes, I have noticed the same. The zero function is only for DC and I find that bit "touchy". Normally, I do measure low current (<1A) by breaking the circuit, e.g. put the meter in series with circuit (both AC and DC) - most accurate way IMHO.

K

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot guys for your advice. I couldn't resist the deal on the 87v. Picked it up this morning and just playing around with it. now all i have to do is figure out what to do with it.
    Still learning. . .

Post Likes
    Thanks a lot guys for your advice. I couldn't resist the deal on the 87v. Picked it up this morning and just playing around with it. now all i have to do is figure out what to do with it.
    Still learning. . .
    Did it come with a book? Its fairly easy to figure it out. You'll get the hang of it.

Post Likes
    I just picked up the Fluke 87v/e2 and the 902 and the 177.
    The 902 is great cause it can also read micro amps.Niceback up for the 87.
    If your sticking your #@!$ beater in large panels, I wouldn't trust anything but Fluke.
    My 2 small girl"s insist I use Fluke!!!
    P.S. Not sure what Im gonna do with the 177?
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Post Likes
    Congrats Wood, your well on your way!!
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    a DMM with an external clamp will be the best solution... it will do everything. how much is the 87?? the 179 like i have i paid 250 ish that has an electronic meter lead kit with it. you can get the meter alone cheaper. this was you have one hell of a meter and an amp clamp. youll be right at your price range maybe 20 bucks or so higher depending on what DMM you purchase.

i started with a UEI clamp and that kept me going for 2 years not other meters needed. than i made money so wanted something different. thus fluke...

they have their design issues wit their features but should last you years.....

if you go with a dmmm youll be set..

note i always had strictly an amp clamp and just recently picked up a DMM. i know of guys that use a DMM with the amp clamp and like it. i just picked up an ac/dc amp for my 179...

also note the 179 does NOT measure micro amps for flame current the 116 does...
    the 116 does not measure milli volts....
    didnt look up the 87 yet, working on it
    The 116 does do milli volts, i believe the 116 is your best bet. I will be purchasing one soon, as of now i have the 902, i love that meter lol. For an hvac technician, weather it be a gas heat, ac, or anything of that nature the 116 will bee just fine.

P.S. lol, just read through and saw you bought the 87v, nice purchase, for that price i would of also, good luck with it.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in