Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Fluke 116 or 87V

Morning everyone, I know the 87v is a little more expensive than the 116 but is the price difference justifiable in terms of features and quality?
    Unfortunately i do not know all the differences on the 2 devices but maybe someone could offer some insight? Has someone used both and reccomend one over the other?
    Is the 87V more than i need or should i stick with the 116?
    I only have my Gas tech certificate so i do not service Cooling systems.
    Any advice would be great.

While i am on here the 322 or the 902? Should i just get the 116/322 combo and save a bundle?

I haven't used the 116 at all, but I do own 87-V with i410 AC/DC clamp. Actually I still own my first generation 87 too, I do quite bit electronics troubleshooting, so wanted meter that does bit more.

I do love the meter and one really cannot go wrong with that, however it is bit big (with clamp) to carry around in a bag, however that large display is a big plus for "old" eyes. Anyway, for my needs it is a good buy (albeit bit expensive) ....

K

i just got the 179 i like it... umm ill look up the differences with the 3 and let you know. how much is the 87v?

the 902 is nice it does micro amps for flame sensors but the 179 does not...
    umm the 179 will pick up ghost voltage the 902 wont....
    the 179 has a higher ohm scale than 902 ( as beachtech has found out... i found out the hard way)
    179 does milli volts (you use that for honeywell smart valves etc) 902 doesnt....
    umm ill see if theres anything else. BTW let fluke work for you call
    1800 44 FLUKE talk to one of the engineers. your buying their product ask away..

as far as 322.. very basic my buddy got one for excelling in vocational school and it sits in the truck. he bought the 902 lmao..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

o yea basic questions here will help....

are you just coming out of school or entering the field?
    whats your budget look like?
    as far as gas what type of systems do you work on?
    you said no a/c certification yet, does that mean you plan to acheive one?
    if you can by the tool once that will help you in the long run, dont cheap out and buy another meter to take care of your ac/r needs is the future.

answer those and i will give you my opinion....

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

niether! none!

quit wasting good money on a company that fails to observe what HVAC-R service technicians really need to do the job.

since you only service gas units, then you should already know that the puke i mean fluke amp clamps suck on OHM readings.

why carry two meters when you can purchase one that does it all from somebody else???
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    niether! none!

quit wasting good money on a company that fails to observe what HVAC-R service technicians really need to do the job.

since you only service gas units, then you should already know that the puke i mean fluke amp clamps suck on OHM readings.

why carry two meters when you can purchase one that does it all from somebody else???
    i cant believe you didnt quote that one reply by me lol.... i told you guys beachy found out the hard way..... wait a min i was wrong now that i think about it you didnt buy it and then find out like i did. another h talk member told me you ordered one.. my bad but regardless. make sure its a good quality meter.. flukes quality is good, their good at selling more meter( which i dont agree with either) due to lack of features... but id rather have quality....

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    Which one would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    are you just coming out of school or entering the field?
    whats your budget look like?
    as far as gas what type of systems do you work on?
    you said no a/c certification yet, does that mean you plan to acheive one?
    I am entering the field and putting my tools together at this point.
    Budget. . . i would like to spend $300 for both. or for one good one that covers all the bases.
    I work on Forced Air Heating systems. all residential nothing commercial.
    The A/C question is in debate. i may eventually go for it but not within the next 3 years at least.

Thanks again.

a DMM with an external clamp will be the best solution... it will do everything. how much is the 87?? the 179 like i have i paid 250 ish that has an electronic meter lead kit with it. you can get the meter alone cheaper. this was you have one hell of a meter and an amp clamp. youll be right at your price range maybe 20 bucks or so higher depending on what DMM you purchase.

i started with a UEI clamp and that kept me going for 2 years not other meters needed. than i made money so wanted something different. thus fluke...

they have their design issues wit their features but should last you years.....

if you go with a dmmm youll be set..

note i always had strictly an amp clamp and just recently picked up a DMM. i know of guys that use a DMM with the amp clamp and like it. i just picked up an ac/dc amp for my 179...

also note the 179 does NOT measure micro amps for flame current the 116 does...
    the 116 does not measure milli volts....
    didnt look up the 87 yet, working on it

Here's an easy way to compare the Fluke 87V, 179 & 116. Just check-mark the meters you're interested in and click on "compare":

http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/pr...(FlukeProducts)

Quote Originally Posted by kah1010 View Post
    I haven't used the 116 at all, but I do own 87-V with i410 AC/DC clamp. Actually I still own my first generation 87 too, I do quite bit electronics troubleshooting, so wanted meter that does bit more.

I do love the meter and one really cannot go wrong with that, however it is bit big (with clamp) to carry around in a bag, however that large display is a big plus for "old" eyes. Anyway, for my needs it is a good buy (albeit bit expensive) ....

K
    have you used all the features on that thing?? duty cycle, motor thingy tester lol. (i dnno what that is)

Talking

have you used all the features on that thing?? duty cycle, motor thingy tester lol. (i dnno what that is)
    For my needs for electronics troubleshooting so far I haven't needed duty cycle nor motor testing features. But I sure appreciate sensitivity of my meter while fixing radio receivers and transmitters etc., also I find the relative measurement handy sometimes. Personally I do like a separate "current clamp" instead of "fieldpiece approach" of the whole unit "hanging on the clamp" - just my personal preference.....

...tools are pretty personal thing, thus there is not a single answer to the question....

K

i cant believe you didnt quote that one reply by me lol.... i told you guys beachy found out the hard way..... wait a min i was wrong now that i think about it you didnt buy it and then find out like i did. another h talk member told me you ordered one.. my bad but regardless. make sure its a good quality meter.. flukes quality is good, their good at selling more meter( which i dont agree with either) due to lack of features... but id rather have quality....
    there are plenty of meter companies out there that have quality.

i haven't had a minutes trouble out of any of my fieldpiece meters. just not a big fan of the HS36 meter, when you put the amp clamp on it reads 3 tenths of an amp instead of zero.

ideal makes a quality meter. it's only lacking temp. so what, i can deal with that better than lacking OHM's

no, i didn't buy the fluke 902. i looked at the spec sheet and said, eff u!!! lol
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast