Mini-split ac's to look into

I pretty much decided what I want for my house is a mini-split AC. It's small, the upper floor is about 650 sq ft., and I would have the mini-split on the upper floor.
    What are good brands to look at?
    I want something that is good for dehumidifying, i.e. you can run it overnight and it will keep on dehumidifying even if the house gets cool.
    Also it has to be very quiet.
    An inverter compressor is probably important. I have a small house and I might easily hear compressor noise, wherever the external unit is. So if the compressor runs more slowly when dehumidifying this should help with noise.
    Any particular brands and models you'd recommend? A lot of the heating contractors around here install Mitsubishi mini-splits.
    I suppose there's less concern about sizing when it has inverter technology?
    thanks
    Laura

Mitsu
    Fujitsu
    Daikin
    Sanyo

These are most of the bigger names and all have quality products. The Korean manufactures (LG, Samsung, and such) are not as well made. Fujitsu probably has the highest SEER units (don't get hung up on that). Units can be sized for the larger load - heat or cooling as over sizing is not as much of an issue (but it can still be over sized so a load calc should be done). Mitsu and Daikin have strong support for techs and I suspect Fujitsu does also. Some offer ducted and ductless inside units and some can have multiple indoor units connected to one outdoor.

Does it matter to have an installer that's trained with that specific mini-split?
    Mini-splits are pretty easy to install so maybe it doesn't matter?
    Does anybody know by the way, which brands offer inverter compressors? I think Fujitsu does.
    thanks
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by plarian View Post
    Does it matter to have an installer that's trained with that specific mini-split?
    Mini-splits are pretty easy to install so maybe it doesn't matter?
    Does anybody know by the way, which brands offer inverter compressors? I think Fujitsu does.
    thanks
    Laura
    Laura,

Most will have an inverter compressor. While mini-splits should be generally easier to install, I would go with a contractor that has installed the brand that you desire. There are differences between manufactures, installation steps, and the controls setup. Just as with a conventional system if the install is poor the system will never operate correctly and have limited efficiency. If the contractor is not familiar with the controls then you would be on your own to figure them out and they are not all intuitive. I know Daikin has trained contractors listed on their web site and others probably do too.

Mini Splits are a special system. The electronics are the key to there success. You really need someone that has worked with that manufacture or specializes in minis.

Personally I prefer Mitsubishi. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

Get the heat pump model.

Installed Mitsubishi and Sanyo have been pretty good, no problems. Agree with above post mitsubishi is a little more costly but worth it

Mitsubishi is what I always hear a lot about. I have also heard comfort aire is a good set up. But for the price, go with a Mitsubishi

I installed an LG heatpump in a small addition I had built and it has worked out very well -- I installed one of the newer "artcool" units with the inverter comp.

Mitsubishi mini splits are very good systems. You will like them...they are very very quiet. Installed one awhile back and to see if the indoor or outdoor units were running had to feel the air movement because they are so quiet. And I've had some very satisfied people