Recommended HVAC schools

Hi, I have 4 years of experience in HVAC installation and 1 year in service. Mostly residential and light commercial, but some heavy commercial installation also. After a DUI destroyed my driving record I am finding it quite difficult to find a job in this trade. Sadly, I was really getting into the service aspect of the field. I don't care for 8 hour days installing in a 120 degree attic. I have come to the conclusion that my best move would be to enroll in some kind of HVAC school, preferably a 2 year degree.

Can anyone with more experience recommend some of the top HVAC Programs in the Southeast U.S.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by portcity View Post
    Hi, I have 4 years of experience in HVAC installation and 1 year in service. Mostly residential and light commercial, but some heavy commercial installation also. After a DUI destroyed my driving record I am finding it quite difficult to find a job in this trade. Sadly, I was really getting into the service aspect of the field. I don't care for 8 hour days installing in a 120 degree attic. I have come to the conclusion that my best move would be to enroll in some kind of HVAC school, preferably a 2 year degree.

Can anyone with more experience recommend some of the top HVAC Programs in the Southeast U.S.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    with five years in the field you likely won't get much out of an hvac school. More importantly it won't fix your driving record which is your biggest hurdle in finding a job. I don't know how it works in the states but in Canada after a certain period of time and lots of money you can get your record exponged for non violent crimes. I wouldn't waste your money on an entry level hvac program with your experience IMO.

Call a lawyer and see if they can help get it of your record.

However if you love HVAC-R But done like the Freeze or Fry issues and are tried of Field work, Have you thought of get a ASA MET of a BS ME or MET
    If you help others then you are a Success

Thanks guys, I'm in a serious hole here and I'm trying to claw out of it. I appreciate your input. I honestly feel that there's more I could learn. It was only the last year of work that my employer began to send me on service calls and I was learning as I worked.

I've almost come to the conclusion that obtaining a contractors license and starting a service/retro-fit type company is my only option and I know that is a longshot. Once again, thanks for your comments.

Perhaps you can learn a different trade (electrician) and work on the new construction side. That way, your driving record won't really matter as you won't be doing service calls.

Thanks Ideafx, I'll look into that.

There's an excellant Tech School here in State College Pa. Its a long way from N.C. though They offer a Bachlors in HVAC-R and includes DDC. It's a 4 year program. I wish they offered those programs when I was there. That was a long time ago. haha

Quote Originally Posted by portcity View Post

Here in Wilmington NC also know as Port City, Cape Fear offers a good course.
    Hope it helps
    Life is to short to sweat the little thing in life!

Yeah, I'm in Wilmington as the name implies. I have thought about Cape Fear Comm. course, but I'm hoping to find an accredited school somewhere close to NC.

Port city, have you checked out RSES, I wish more people in wilmington nc would join so we could start a chapter here.
    Life is to short to sweat the little thing in life!