Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mgould2 View Post
    I could leave at 8 and be back by noon.

Did by any chance did Moore's install your furnace?

Our standard install uses a 20x25x5 pleated filter.
    No they did not. Where are they located? Do they have a site?

I'll probably be looking for someone to address my return trunk and 16x25x1 filter situation.

Quote Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
    What pressure drop did you see after you installed the 5" filter?

I can always get one of my mechanical engineers at work to do it, or I guess I could try myself. We have the equipment. I'm just too lazy, I guess.
    0.1" for the 5" under the same test conditions as the 1" which was 0.27. Big difference!

My 5" cabinent is horizontally installed on the return drop so I could easily use a 1" if I choose to. The 5" seems to have a better (lower) pressure drop as well as more effective at removing dust.

Can you post pics of your system. The guys here are pretty sharp and usually pretty accurate at eyeballing a potential high static situation.

Key1
    In the land of the blind.....the man with one eye is king....

No they did not. Where are they located? Do they have a site?

I'll probably be looking for someone to address my return trunk and 16x25x1 filter situation.
    I also ended up replacing my return drop, going from 24x10 to a nice fat 24 x 20 . If you are going to do it...then do it right...

Key1

Quote Originally Posted by key1cc View Post
    I also ended up replacing my return drop, going from 24x10 to a nice fat 24 x 20 . If you are going to do it...then do it right...

Key1
    I'd like to, but I'm not sure I have room. When facing my furnace, the return comes down the left side of the furnace and 90's into the bottom on the left side. Above the 90 it is 10.5"x24" and after the 90 it is 16x24. The vertical section is about 3.5" from the left side of the furnace and about 5" from the gas pipe and water heater.

The trunk can't be moved any farther left due to that water heater and gas pipe, if I had to guess. I don't know if the vertical section can be made 14"x24 instead of 10x24 due to the closeness to the furnace.

I think my only hope is one of those elbow cabinets that angle the 5" filter, but I don't know how much less pressure drop there will be if only a new filter is put in and not a bigger trunk.

I'd like to, but I'm not sure I have room. When facing my furnace, the return comes down the left side of the furnace and 90's into the bottom on the left side. Above the 90 it is 10.5"x24" and after the 90 it is 16x24. The vertical section is about 3.5" from the left side of the furnace and about 5" from the gas pipe and water heater.

The trunk can't be moved any farther left due to that water heater and gas pipe, if I had to guess. I don't know if the vertical section can be made 14"x24 instead of 10x24 due to the closeness to the furnace.

I think my only hope is one of those elbow cabinets that angle the 5" filter, but I don't know how much less pressure drop there will be if only a new filter is put in and not a bigger trunk.
    If you can post some pics. I'm sure you may get some reccomendations on options you may not have considered.

Attached is my old and new.

Key1
    Attached Images Attached Images   

If you can post some pics. I'm sure you may get some reccomendations on options you may not have considered.

Attached is my old and new.

Key1
    Here is some creativity. Static around .20 at 1400 CFM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Isn't that gas line suppose to be sleeved going through the return air stream?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    I like the idea of having the bottom and side utilized for return air. Unfortunately my unit has a big 5 ton coil sitting on top of it and once I throw in the plenum there would not be enough heigt in the basement to have the unit on a platform. I guess I could mount it horizontally ......

Interesting that you are using ply-wood as your return plenums.

Any humidity issues in your area?

Key1

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Isn't that gas line suppose to be sleeved going through the return air stream?
    There is a seperate piece of wood sealing the return box. The gas and condensate go between the wood panels. It's in a closet (retrofit) and 2x4's would have been to wide.

No humidity issues in your area?

Key1
    I'll get more pics and start a new thread soon.

I was just throwing out ideas of creative static reduction.

Do they have a site?

I was reading the attached links tutorial on air filters and they seem pretty knowlegeable. They seem to get it at least and they are in you area. I'm sure they would be a lot cheaper than having Beenthere take a weekend to drive all the way out there to KC .

http://www.lacool.ws/index.html

Checkout the "homeowners tutorial" section on air-filters.

Key1

I was reading the attached links tutorial on air filters and they seem pretty knowlegeable. They seem to get it at least and they are in you area. I'm sure they would be a lot cheaper than having Beenthere take a weekend to drive all the way out there to KC .

http://www.lacool.ws/index.html

Checkout the "homeowners tutorial" section on air-filters.

Key1
    Thanks. I'll have to shoot them an email and see what they have to say.

My 100K BTU XV95 pulls 96 watts at 640 CFM in "fan only" at 0.25 total ESP.
    it pulls 258 watts in heat mode at 1008 CFM @ 0.49 ESP
    It pulls 405 watts in fan-only mode at 1285 CFM @ .71 esp.
    it pulls 365 watts in heat mode at 1184 CFM mode at 0.64 esp.

The high esp at higher airflow is directly related to my smallish 5" ducts going up the wall stack

Key1
    I forgot to ask and I cannot find the literature on the web. Does your XV95 have a 1/2HP, 3/4HP or 1HP ECM motor? Mine is a 3/4HP and I'm afraid yours is not which ruins any solid comparison.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast