Issues with Climate Master Geothermal - Air coil now leaking

In fall 2006, I installed a Climate Master Tranquility 27 geothermal (4-ton closed loop) that replaced an old Friedrich Climate Master installed in 1985. Ive had lots of problems with sensors (3 incidents of bad thermistors) and now the air coil is leaking 410A refrigerant and needs to be replaced. (Bad timing its going into the single digits this week and Im forced to run electric backup). Im about to call the local distributor and order the new coil. The warranty covers parts but not labor. The old CM was very reliable, but Im very dissatisfied with the new one. I understand that the 350 lb pressure in the coil due to the 410A is much greater than the old R22, but shouldnt the coils be designed for it? Has anyone else had these problems? Any thoughts or words of wisdom? Thanks

I had the same issue with my Tranquility 27 coil 2 weeks ago, leaking freon. It was installed in oct 2006 so just over 3 years old. I would think that these would last longer. Interesting that yours was installed in fall 2006 also, maybe a manufacturing defect?

Sounds like it

I'm not an expert, but I would say there is a good chance there is some sort of manufacturing defect. Since I posted this I wrote a letter to Dan Ellis, President of Climate Master and they issued me a $500 refund through my distributor to compensate me for the problems I'd had with the unit. It's worth a try.

Moved to residential geo.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

There are only a few companies making air coils for many manufacturers.
    Sometimes they don't do a good job.

ClimateMaster Tranquility 27 Units

Installed 2 units in 2006 and they have had issues every year, coils to valves, to electronics. Still waiting for a response from the corporate offices but have yet to find anyone that really cares.

Yeah these aren't striking me as the 20+ year units they were claimed to be. Having to do all this work on them and their seeming lack of efficiency certainly eats away at any positives from getting off gas.

ClimateMaster Tranquility 27 constant problems

I have had nothing but problems with my system since it was installed in the spring of 2009. This ClimateMaster Tranquility 27, 4 ton, closed pond loop system was installed during construction of my new home. We have had multiple problems every year. Everything from refrigerant leaks to installation and configuration issues. The installer has been out to my house at least a dozen times since the original install. Now he is wanting to charge me for labor. I told him there was no way I was paying him to come repair a system that has functioned properly since it was installed. The distributor has been a little help. They have put me in contact with another installer. However they want to charge me as well. Which is understandable since they did not install the system in the first place. I feel very strongly that ClimateMaster should be liable for any cost incurred. Simply because we are having the same issues over and over.

ClimateMaster has been no help what so ever. Everytime I call them I get a different person and I have to tell my story over and over again. I cannot get anywhere with them.

I am horribly discusted with ClimateMaster at this point.

I hope other potential customers will do a little more research than I did and go with someone other than ClimateMaster.

BTW, the original installing company is no longer allowed on my property.

You started a thread with the same posting as you have here except the Brand Bashing title. Please do not make duplicate posts, thread was removed.
    Last edited by Stamas; 09-21-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Note.

I've had a 6 ton Climate Master Tranquility running since may 2009. My pump and dump system has been running perfectly so far with zero problems. My previous 5 ton Water Furnace also ran very well for almost 15 yrs before that but I think deposits and my failure to periodically acid flush the WF may have done it in. Same installer for both but it seems to be a luck of the draw.