+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shakey Condenser Fan ( Must the Motor be Replaced?)

Post Likes

Shakey Condenser Fan ( Must the Motor be Replaced?)

Hello HVAC-Talk. I am a new technician in the field who just started after 9 months of schooling. I am working for a residential company right now as a "Home Energy Tech" (AKA HERS/BPI tester) and I don't get the chance to dirty my hands much yet (sadly). So, I need a little help.

I am checking out a roof package unit for my church and I noticed that the condenser fan seems to be shaking. It is anchored tightly to the condenser, cage roof. The fan blades aren't rusted or noticeably bent/damaged in anyway. I have searched on the net for a bit looking for common symptoms and possible solutions and the answer I most commonly find is that the Fan Motor should be replaced.

Based on the little info I have shared, does that sound like the right solution, or is there more I should look into before jumping to that conclusion?

Post Likes
    IMO, To eliminate a potential call back if you missed diagnosis, I would replace both getting a OEM blade, possible the blades have hairline cracks or its loose at the fan hub, the pitch may be off on one blade.

Also if you just replace the motor you may easily damage the blade removing it and causing a out of balance situation when reinstalling

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in