Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube Bender

Post Likes

Tube Bender

Can someone from YJ tell me why I can not bend 3/4 and 7/8 without kinking? Two co workers of mine have the same bender just a little newer and there's do not kink. Everything looks identical. My mandrels kink no matter which bender they are on. There mandrels do not on there tool or mine. Spay makes no difference. Just put in 13 splits and I am frustrated. Can the mandrels be replaced? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Yes mandrels can be replaced. Yellow Jacket sells them individually.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thank you for that info. Guess I will be getting a few. I am curious to hear from YJ why this is. Be this way since the day I purchased. Another guy I work with bought his same time and has the same problem. I think we got a defect.

Post Likes
    Mine kinks the tube also. I have better results with USA mueller copper but it will still kink from time to time. I have since sidelined the ratchet benders for most jobs and picked up the manual YJ lever benders for 3/4 and 7/8. They are so much better. I attribute some kinking to copper itself that is egg shaped off the roll.

5. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Have you tried lubricating the Mandrel?

Post Likes
    For what its worth, we compared many different benders following some challenges with tube kinking. While the ratcheting style bender is certainly more convenient, the lever-arm bender created much better bends on average...no kinking, less flattening and rippling. We quit using ratcheting benders at all.

Post Likes
    On my YJ ratchet bender I normally get ripples on the inside bends of large copper. Even if it's lubed. I attribute this to the copper needing some place to go (it doesnt compress into denser material) and the poorer quality of foreign copper tube.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    I typically preheat a little ( with a plumbers torch ) the tubing area to be bended before bending 3/4" and especially 7/8" still get the usual ripple on the insides but helps prevent kinking IMO.

Post Likes
    I emailed yellow jacket about this problem maybe two years ago. This is what they suggested. Just anneal the copper before making your bend. They then attached a video about how to use the tool, where they don't anneal the copper or make any mention of it.

No "we know about this issue, we can send you a better designed mandrel" or "we'll find some way to make it right"

Disappointed to say the least.

Post Likes
    The only time I have trouble with mine is when I go to fast.

Post Likes
    Had that happen yesterday w/some copper, just kinked right up, but w/hand bending squinting, holding your lips just right and decades of experience could not make that roll of copper bend right.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Choclair View Post
    I emailed yellow jacket about this problem maybe two years ago. This is what they suggested. Just anneal the copper before making your bend. They then attached a video about how to use the tool, where they don't anneal the copper or make any mention of it.

No "we know about this issue, we can send you a better designed mandrel" or "we'll find some way to make it right"

Disappointed to say the least.
    They know that soft copper is already annealed, right?
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

14. Likes Choclair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    They know that soft copper is already annealed, right?
    Some better than others and it starts work hardening as you unroll and bend it...

16. Likes snowderandsons liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast