Quote to replace furnace and A/C

Hi All,

Just got a quote to replace our furnace, while under our crawl space he said he noticed the evaporator/coil was almost rusted out. He said we should replace both the a/c and the furnace since we would be switching refrigerants and that replacing the coil was a waste of money because if the a/c dies the coil will need to be replaced anyway. He said the coil replacement was about a xxxx dollar job. Is he blowing smoke or is this true? I'd prefer to just get a new furnace and not a new a/c unit. He quoted us xxxx for a Trane XV90 installed, if we do the a/c work they will replace the condensor, evaporator coil and both plenums, install external filter racks and vent furnace out our crawl with two pvc pipes. This makes the total xxxx.00 if we do everything, i'd rather just get the furnace and replace the coil if im not wasting money.

Thanks,

Greg

Please read site rules, no pricing allowed, Thank you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-12-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Removed pricing.

He is very likely right. You however are not. Don't post any prices on here it is against site rules.

If you didn't like his price then by all means get another quote. Just be aware you will get what you pay for.

sdeery

Quote Originally Posted by sdeery View Post
    If you didn't like his price then by all means get another quote. Just be aware you will get what you pay for.

sdeery
    I am getting other quotes I was just wondering how he knew the coil
    needed to be replaced without physically removing any door, etc. I do see some rust on the bottom where the pipe runs to the condensation pump.

You're generally going to be best replacing the complete package so it a matched system. It will cost a lot more to come back later and replace the coil instead of doing it whiule they are already there for the furnace.

If the A/C is more than 15 years old, you might as well just repalce it too.

If he didn't look at the drainpan he is just guessing. I would say get another bid and have a tech be more thorough. I obviously don't know because I wasn't there. I would say though that he is very likely right.