+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for feedback

Currently in Massachusetts, but in the near future, will be moving to Delaware
    Post Likes

Looking for feedback

Hello all, new to the forum, just wanted to say hi and ask for some info and feedback on a possible career choice. First I live in MA and I am a self employed carpenter. As you are all aware, the building industry is rather slow. I am thinking about going back to working for someone else in the maintenance field (either residential or commercial) and a lot of these places are looking for someone either HVAC or EPA certified. How involved is this? What kind of training/schooling is involved? How long do you have to be involved in the industry before taking the test? Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    EPA card is available as soon as you can pass the test. The rest just comes with time. If you are a mover, have a fantastic attitude and don't expect a fat paycheck just for showing up you may be able to sign on with a company that will train. We have been running through graduates from the area tech colleges that claim to provide schooling on HVAC and plumbing trades but they mainly teach theory, not actual trouble shooting skills. I also have a theory - Tech schools are not holding up there end of the bargin with these guys.
    "One day closer to retirement"

Post Likes

Lightbulb Commercial vs. Residential and Schools

Of course, schooling varies with the area but in the States can be found at trade schools or through community colleges or magnet programs within the high school system. Some of the magnetic schools teach night classes at a fraction the cost of trade schools and are just as effective when finding a job.

In Canada, BCIT, NAIT, SAIT are some of the best in BC or Alberta. Honeywell Building Solutions is always hiring good HVAC mechanics and instrumentation techs. Many times the person will benefit from further training while on the job.

Commercial work is probably more dependable for a steady paycheck. Residential service providers may be have more peaks and valleys to the work. When people are having financial struggles they may not have the money to fix what needs to be fixed.

Good luck!

Post Likes
    I've looked into two schools here in MA and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do it. One is in Boston (Kaplan) and the tuition is is the least exspensive, but the commuting costs would bring it in line with the other school (Porter and Chester) which is just a short drive (20 minutes or so) and I don't have to go into Boston, which to me is worth something right there. Anyone ahve any experience or knowledge of either of these schools. Both are accreditted and both cover the whole range of the industry (heating, cooling and refrigeration). Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Post Likes

PandC

I go to P and C now. It is an 18 month program and the tuition is about $24000 this includes getting tools, and books. I go at night time which is Mon-Wends 6:00pm to 10:30pm. They have gas, a/c, refrigeration, oil and a design course. They all are 3 month courses except for refrigeration which is a 6 month course which is nice. They actually just changed the refrige program to 6 months. In the A/C course they take a week of just studing for the EPA and then you take it at the school. They have units there that you can work on. I went there not knowing a thing about HVAC/R and now I have a better understanding of things. Although there is still a ton to learn once I get out in the field. I would call them up and ask to take a tour of the school. If you need any more info just let me know. Just curious where have you seen places looking to hire? I look everyday (MEP jobs, Monster, Hotjobs, Careerbuilder) and everyone is looking for more exprienced guys. I am just looking for an apprentice or helper job.

Post Likes
    Hi fallguy, as far as the jobs go, as you stated, most are looking for HVAC/EPA certified or occasionally HVAC/EPA certification a plus. Which means they really want that. It's tough out there, I'm a carpenter and the work right now is pretty much non-existant. That's why I'm looking at this school. With my background and adding this to it, I should have a much better chance at getting into facility or residential maintenance positions. As far as where I've seen the job postings, it's been on Monster.

Post Likes

Schools

Hi - Do either of them have system instrumentation courses included in their programs? This would be a key component that could help make you more versital in the industry. As a recruiter, I have the hardest time finding anyone with instrumentation background to work on HVAC controls or fire alarm systems. Best successes!

Post Likes

instrumentation courses

Hi, I am not sure what you mean by instumentation courses. I think we just learn the basics of oil, gas, refrig, a/c, design, and hydronics ( I start this in a couple of weeks then graduate)

Post Likes

Instrumentation

Hi!

The instrumentation that I was referring to were for HVAC and fire alarm controls. I am finding that most schools don't teach systems automation courses, therefore, finding someone who can install and maintain the control systems as well as the hardware is a challenge. They are generally two different people but finding someone with the programming skills, understanding of PLC, DDC, who have the ability to program, troubleshoot and reprogram the HVAC or fire alarm control systems is difficult. This could be an advantage to you if you can get these courses as well.

Best successes in school.

Regards,
    HVACanadajobs

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in