+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Creative venting

Post Likes

[Edited by Boss on 12-28-2003 at 09:51 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    rotfl......omg my side hurts..
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane

Post Likes
    Thats nice, i wonder if they bought the supplies from home depot.

[Edited by smurphy on 10-12-2002 at 08:37 AM]

Post Likes
    I doubt Homodepot sells that type of chimney cap. I'm sitting here in shock...

Post Likes
    Steve, I can't tell from the photo but did they run the smaller stack up the center of the larger or did they tap off a smaller from the larger?

Are there no inspections there? Was this done by a DIY or a so called contractor?

Post Likes
    The original problem was the water heater wouldn't vent properly. The first fix was (by plumbers) to run foil tape around the vent cap opening and only allow part of the gas to escape. I guess they thought wind was blowing in the large cap?? When that didn't work they went to the smaller vent. I am not sure if it is 4" all the way down or not.

I first heard of the problem when the toilets would leak vapors up the trap and stink up the bathrooms. When I tried to open the front door of the restaurant I had to use both hands as the entire bldg. was under an enormous vacuum.

I found the make-up air belt so loose the wheel was barely turing. The kitchen exhaust was sucking such a negative on the bldg. nothing would work right. After fixing the make-up air I still had quite a negative pressure. It was even sucking air by the room thermostats and throwing them out of whack. Keep in mind this was a new facility.

I adjusted the make-up air sheave to the max that the motor would take without over amping. I adjusted the exhaust fan to the minimum of the sheave capability. I went a little too far the first time and it ate a belt up....(of course this was my fault so I ate the call back)....even though I was trying to fix some engineer mis-sizing screwup.

No econimizers were installed and the fresh air intake on the Bryant & Carrier gas packs were open as well.

The only way I could equalize the pressure was to start re-engineering the equipment ie. replacing motors & sheaves and I was not about to get into that.

Also one 10 ton gas pack is feed two 16" returns (smashed at that)....thats what I put on 5 ton systems!

Now that these poor owners have the pressure problem to deal with they started having freon leaks on the condensers. I lost that battle when another contractor was willing to patch the leak. I knew that would not last and I was not willing to get involved in that call back scenario. Then on a different machine the discharge line cracked right at the compressor and oil & freon spewed everywhere. The machines need condensers washed (they were full of exhaust grease) , filters needed changing, drains were full of mud (pvc on the roof) etc.....They wanted me to fix all this on Friday 4:30 after I gave them an extensive list the week before which they never paid any attention to. Store managers never have time to talk and there is a different manager on duty every time I go. The owner says "get with the manager".......I can't win this pass the buck game.

I told them I could get to it Monday and they promptly called someone else. I lost the account.

For those of you that say poor installations are just more work for the rest of us ,,,,well I have to disagree. It puts us all in a bad position and I don't care to follow behind messes such as this.

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 10-12-2002 at 03:44 PM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    This sounds like a good account to lose.
    once you think you know everything, you'll never learn another thing!

Post Likes

Color scheme

The bldg. color scheme looks like a typical Ruby Tuesdays?
    Just finished Certified TAB on one. Direct hire to the owner.
    No problems like this one.
    RTU's still had shipping bolts in place, no biggie......

Post Likes
    I laughed MAO when I saw this one!

Post Likes
    Paint it green,it will look like a cactus!

p
    P

Post Likes

Thumbs down

now i bet his boss dident like him comeing back wit extra suplys so he decided to use em all lol

Post Likes
    Looks like one of those weird metal art projects that you look and say "what the f**k is it" Guessing beauty is really in the eye of the beholder.

Post Likes

Oz quote

"A true measure of a man's heart is not how much he loves but rather how much he is loved by others" - Wizard of Oz

Sorry, but this is HOGWASH!

Probably more people loved Adolph Hitler than you. What does that say about you?
    "Knowledge is what you get when you read the directions. Experience is what you get when you don't." --Unknown

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in