Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    one thing they are good for is if you're missing just one socket or short just one ratchet wrench . . .

I go to sears when they run sales, then you can get some good prices on stuff. Also they stock mechanics brand gloves pretty cheap and they are great, I need to go pick up another pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    anybody find my 5/16 long handle klien with magnetic?? Uh? Just bought the dam thing not 2 weeks ago.
    If you find yours, look for mine nearby. Why is always the 5/16 and never the 1/4?
    Customer: "I have a problem with my (Non-Descript Heating Appliance). It's really old (somewhere from 3 to 120 Years?) and it used to make a (insert noise here) and now it makes a (insert new noise here). Is that common with (Non-Descript Heating Appliance)'s ? "

Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    Now honestly I look at there stuff now and then but I don't buy much other then their flashlights ....... their pretty good and cheap. I lose flashlights too often to buy expensive ones for doing bids.

BOY ARE THEY GETTING OVER PRICED

If you buy a good flashlight you more than likely won't lose it. Mine is one of the few things that rides up front, because it charges next to the driver seat.

I just bought another one so one will always be on the charger. Got to give it to stream light, mine is 3 years old and still works great.

I work with a guy who has all Craftsman tools, funny how he always borrows my Klein tools. I can never find my Makita cordless drill either when he is around, seems his Craftsman drill won't put in more than a handful of screws on a charge.
    Good guy to work with though, and I get my tools back.

Quote Originally Posted by usion View Post
    I work with a guy who has all Craftsman tools, funny how he always borrows my Klein tools. I can never find my Makita cordless drill either when he is around, seems his Craftsman drill won't put in more than a handful of screws on a charge.
    Good guy to work with though, and I get my tools back.
    That's why I love to work alone or simply train someone. Jobsites = chaos. Now that I have my Veto, the other guys are almost afraid to touch it. I generally have more tools and better tools than anyone in the company. They laugh about how many tools i keep........until the job goings bad.

no one at my company ever buys new tools. I just don't understand why they wouldn't invest money in the tools of their trade. I'm probably the only tech with a temp meter, magnehelic, more then one meter, more then one set of guages, humidity tester etc. Not to mention the Veto . Have shown it off to everyone I can but nobody wants to spend the money. I give up
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

no one at my company ever buys new tools. I just don't understand why they wouldn't invest money in the tools of their trade. I'm probably the only tech with a temp meter, magnehelic, more then one meter, more then one set of guages, humidity tester etc. Not to mention the Veto . Have shown it off to everyone I can but nobody wants to spend the money. I give up
    Same here, im told im nuts cause the veto and all the tools i have in it, not to mention the lot of meters i have, temp etc. But when they need sometin they dont have who do they ask, yours truely.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

But when they need sometin they dont have who do they ask, yours truely.

I always tell them no, get your own. Tired of having stuff come back broken or lost. A fellow tech stepped on my new rosebud, only 2 weeks old, broke in half. I replaced it myself, almost died when I realized the cost...been waiting for 4 months for the dip stick to pay me back. not so much.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

anybody find my 5/16 long handle klien with magnetic?? Uh? Just bought the dam thing not 2 weeks ago.

Yeah! What were you doing on the Dollar General Store in Dixon, IL?

Sears has got tools you might not find elsewhere. I get my inspection mirrors there. The ones that extend out to 30 inches.

Last edited by MechAcc; 01-18-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added mirror
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Someone said Sears is good for just a ratchet or socket. I have found it is sometime cheaper to buy the set than one or two pieces. Another thing Sears now mixes junk with the Craftsman brand along with some good name brands. Like others have said HD and Lowes have some good things too. For me going to a tool section is like a kid going to a toy section.

Leo

If your arsenal is slim?

You know most of my money goes home, but to get it their I have to spend some on the right tools. Deciding what ones to prioritise or replace is sometimes the challenge. I would like a superheat/sub cooling head for my field piece, but I get by without it. I agree though, you rarely lose your favorite tool.

Quote Originally Posted by overscore23 View Post
    You know most of my money goes home, but to get it their I have to spend some on the right tools. Deciding what ones to prioritise or replace is sometimes the challenge. I would like a superheat/sub cooling head for my field piece, but I get by without it. I agree though, you rarely lose your favorite tool.

Most of my money has to go home as well. The problem is that in order to do your job and do your job well you NEED good tools and instruments.

I tend to buy tools that will do the most. I have 2 Fluke 52 temp meters, but no SH/SC meters. WHY? Because I can do SH and SC in my head as fast and as well as any meter. Not only that, but I can do product temps, air temps, duct temps surface temps... You get the idea. PLus, Fluke is a quality tool. I have been using one of them for about 12 years now. No troubles.

Buying quality tools and instruments is the best investment that you can make in your career.

If I had to stock a truck quickly and on the cheap. I would go to Harbor Freight. Their tools are decent as far as quality goes, but they aren't Craftsman tools. As the cheap tools broke, I would replace them with Craftsman tools. For Power tools, I have tried several brands. For Cheap power, I would buy a Craftsman power tools set. I had been beating the snot out of a 14.4v impact driver from Sears for over 2 years now and expected it to give out last winter. Still working well. For quality and longevity, I would buy Dewalt.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-18-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast