hand tools being swiped. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Always buy good tools and do not let anyone borrow them.

Quote Originally Posted by kytinknocker View Post
    Always buy good tools and do not let anyone borrow them.
    I agree 100%

Makita

That is what I am saying in a round about way. I love my Makita impact, I am spoiled on it. I could use a scratch all and nut runner and get the same job done. Just as well as I can figure my sub cool and super heat. Everyone has a tool they favor and may not really need, These are the luxuries we are afforded by our trade, top of the food chain.

Always use the best tools. It makes you job easier, and at the end of the day you are generally more profitable.

IMHO as long as you VALUE your tools, your coworkers will recognize that, and respect them as you do.......or they will pay what you paid to replace them.

If I lost my tool bag, it would cost around 2800.00 to replace it. When I'm on a job, I treat it like a small child. Besides me being comfortable with those tools, and thier value, they are the way I make a living.

When I was starting out I bought the best meters, they will save your life good screwdrivers and bought medium quality pipe wrenches sockets and wrenches etc. As time progressed I upgraded all my pipe wrenches and sockets to proto and threw the other sets in the garage they work just fine for wrenching on cars etc and it sucks to have to unload half your truck for stuff around the house. I have pretty much two or 6 of everything now I was cleaning out the garage and found four drills plus the three I keep on the truck. Try and spend a hundred bucks on tools every payday and befor eyou know it you will be in real good shape.

I have tools that my father used as a mechanic during WWII so I appreciate tools that are built to last. I have few Craftsman tools, but Sears makes it easy to get a free replacement on a tool that breaks - though having one break in the middle of the job is a pain. When I had a lot of tools "borrowed" on commercial sites I started spray painting the replacement tools with bright orange paint - no way anyone could pick one up and say they thought it was one of their tools. Ugly but very effective and saved time on the job running off to buy a replacement. Problem with Lowes and Home Depot is their tools are targeted at the homeowner who wants something for one use and wants it cheap. For pro level tools you have to go elsewhere, which is why I like the internet as I can get the specialty tools I need.

I knew a installer that swore by craftsman..hey if it breaks you just go get a replacement. problem is his screwdrivers where always breaking..they seem brittle, second our sears is located in the mall so its not like you can make a 15 min run. it is going to take you an hour or so just to get a new screw driver

I have had no complaints from my Craftsman ratchets and sockets.
    As far as their screwdrivers go they're only good for pounding the crap out of things.
    My preference for screwdrivers is Klein, Snap-On and Wiha.
    I never leave my tools on a jobsite regardless of how safe it is.
    My tools are what earn me my living and I treat them with respect.

Last edited by thump_rrr; 02-01-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123